My questions about xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evlo

My questions about xantia

Post by evlo »

I'm starting this thread as i will have quite a few questions and don't want to start new thread for each.

So for starters i can't find towing eye for my car (x2, v6). It is not mentioned in user manual anywhere.

Not that i would need to use it, but i would rather have it at hand, as you probably know that when you are prepared well for flat tire you will never have one :)

I don't know if it is same for all x2 xantias but i have hole with cover in both bumpers and under it is place to screw in the towing eye.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: My questions about xantia

Post by Old-Guy »

OK, so you know where the towing eye fits, the question is "Where did some previous owner hide it?"
Obvious possibilities are:

- Door pockets
- Rear Quarter 'bins'
- With jack in well of spare wheel

Unfortunately, it's all too common for towing eyes to get lost after they have been used - they get unscrewed, but not put back in the car (or some dumb owner chucks it away or leaves it in his/her garage not knowing what it is!) - you may have to source another one from a scrapyard.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Re: towing eye.

Clipped on the corner under the bonnet near the near side hinge is a favourite
as is inside the foam jack holder that means lowering down the spare.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There's two possible places. In the spare wheel well along with the jack or screwed to the bonnet edge on the LH side nearest the scuttle. The spare wheel well is the most likely though...

Edit: Andrew, just beat me to it :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

This is what the removable eye looks like on my s2 v6;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290796277582? ... 26_rdc%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Now there's another possibility I hadn't thought of - the previous owner kept the towing eye to auction on eBay.... :-D
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
evlo

Post by evlo »

.... so today a park at home, put car key on the stereo cover and get some things, then i noticed that the stereo cover closed, key felt behind it and got stuck so i can't open a cover and put it out. I tried using quite a force to pry it open and i think any more and it will break :)

Any suggestion how to retrieve it? It is only key from that car that i have at hand.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OOPS!!! 8-[ 8-[

The problem is likely to be the key blocking the space where the cover goes, which is why it won't open.

OK, you probably are going to have to remove the heating controls. You will need a Torx screwdriver (T20, I think, but get a range). Slide out the ashtray, and remove the insert (I think there is a clip on the underside; release this to lift the tray). Then, on the facia just above the ashtray there are two screws to remove. Take these out, and it is possible to then pivot up the facia to let it unclip from the top of the heating controls. To get more space, you should remove the ash tray assembly; two more screws just above the ashtray (hidden by the facia). There might be two more under the ashtray; I can't remember. Remove the screws, and the ashtray assembly can come forwards. There are three wires, but if they are long enough you shouldn't need to disconnect them.

If you now look at the heating controls you will see there are four screws holding them in place. Before you remove them, see if the cover will now move (as the facia is not in the way, it might flex enough to open, or let the key drop down). If not, remove the screws and then carefully juggle the controls out. With luck you might now be able to get at the key. [-o< [-o<

If this hasn't worked you are going to have to bite the bullet and (probably) break open the cover :cry: :cry: . You cannot remove it without opening it, as there are 4 screws holding it in place that can only be accessed with it open. Try knocking firmly (limited space, so tricky) on the underside of the casing while moving the cover to see if that works (moving the key out of the way for long enough to let the cover go under it). Failing that, have a look to see if you can see the screws through the edges of the cover (torch needed), as if you can get the driver onto them you can undo them, and get the whole radio assembly out. You might see the key, and get something to hook onto it.

Fingers crossed, and I hope you succeed. 8-)
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
evlo

Post by evlo »

Thank you for extensive reply. I removed the ashrtray and then facia and was able to put a key little more up as there is tiny squeeze between stereo and its cover (where the facia top was) so then i could open a bit and put out using screwdriver (as luckily i kept the key ring on it #-o ). :)
evlo

Post by evlo »

Last week my lighter +12v worked and this week it does no. My car manual for fuses (in czech language) does not reflective fuse layout in car, i think it is for s1. Can you please provide me scan/photo of the fuse pages for the s2?

Also i'm trying to fix the horn on the car and i found out that purple relay in in fuse box clicks but there is now power going to horns in acc on, should it work in acc on or does car needs to be started? I can't test it more now as i don't have anyone at hand to press on steering wheel :/

Update: i found out that thing ticking in the fusebox is actually not the purple relay, but something else. Also i tried it with car started and still no 12V on the end of wire that goes to the horns.

I also found this http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... horn+relay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but did not help me very much - from the schema it seams that the fuse f7 is involved, at least at s1 cars .... but if i understand it correctly then the switch in steering wheel would not click

There is one relay missing in both fuse box in car and in fuse box in engine bay, don't know if there should be or not.

Could it be that the connectors itself are messed up so that is why i don't get 12V on them?

BTW i checked all 20A fuses in the fuse box in car and all fuses were ok, tought it is quite questionable if in correct sockets ...

Update2: Layout posted here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is SIMILAR to what i have in the car although at least one 20A fuse is placed differently in my case. And 20A should be the horn, now i hope that i'm onto something :) I will take the picture tomorrow when there is light outside as i'm getting quite confused with the layout and can't find picture of the same fusebox on the web.

Update 3:
here is the schema for s2 models:
evlo

Post by evlo »

Aslo i can't connect to car using elm327 obd2>usb interface and software scanmaster (tried others too). Even basic error reading does not work, and it worked for me with other cars and same interface. Is this normal and only working thing is lexia3?
evlo

Post by evlo »

OMG, i had HOLD pressed on multimeter, so it was not showing values, FACEPALM, FACEPALM, FACEPALM. Now the horn is horning horny.

Basic multimeters don't have hold function and would save me time. But was very stupid mistake to do :(
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

i know its been said before but in the foam of the spare wheel for the tow eye, but on my x2 she only needs that for the front, the back has a normal hoop affair behind the little flap,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
evlo

Post by evlo »

Winter has come here, and with temperatures between -20 and -10 C (-4 to 14F) shifting between R and D takes some time. "N" LED in dashboard indicator is flashing when it is changing gear and then it smoothly changes. Is this normal? It is quite annoying when reversing from parking space into street with traffic ...

It takes about 3-5 seconds when changing from R to D in worst case scenario.
Last edited by evlo on 09 Dec 2012, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

evlo wrote:Aslo i can't connect to car using elm327 obd2>usb interface and software scanmaster (tried others too). Even basic error reading does not work, and it worked for me with other cars and same interface. Is this normal and only working thing is lexia3?
Although a Series 2 Xantia has the EODB / ODB-II style connector, I think you'll find that its not standard EODB protocols, but an earlier proprietary set of protocols, so generic EODB fault code readers probably won't work on it. So yes, either a Lexia/Elit is required or a tool specifically with Xantia compatibility even for basic fault code reading. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) Fortunately the clone Lexia's are getting very cheap and readily available now, and they will do absolutely anything required on the car from fault code reading up to live diagnostics and reprogramming.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive