C5 suspension type

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

C5 suspension type

Post by Peter.N. »

Both of mine are SXs but the suspension seems different, the 2.2 has a sport switch and I seem to remember a centre sphere, the 2.0L doesn't, or at least I can't find one. The 2.2 gives a good ride on the road but not so good over rough surfaces which I understand is due to the thicker anti roll bar, there is also much more suspension movement on the 2.2 which suggests that the spheres need replacing on the 2.0L, this rides marginally better over the rough but not so good on the road, its done 181k miles but the 2.2 only 148k. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Peter
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Re: C5 suspension type

Post by Spaces »

I suppose the smaller engined car won't be hydractive. Which would account for its ability on your track, even with spheres past their best - the hydractive prob cuts out the centre spheres and combined with tighter damping will make it pretty rough. Any way to lock it in 'soft' mode? Plus a little less extreme damping on the corner spheres would help.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
hmvt

Post by hmvt »

They both hydractes, but the 2.0 has the hydractive 3 suspension, and the 2.2 has the hydractive 3+ wich includes the sport buton.
In Portugal only the 2.2 have the sport buton, I think that is the difference you see...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Right thanks, where is the front third sphere then?

Peter
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

I thought H3 was analagous to standard Citroen suspension, without the centre spheres etc whereas H3+ was similar to hydractive 2, as on some Xantias and XMs.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well I can't find a third sphere so that would figure.

Peter
Spaces
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

And it would explain the better ride over your track, where the variable hydractive system starts to cut the centre spheres out as the wheels travel too far, in its opinion, to remain in 'soft' mode. As I say above, is it possible to lock the H3+ into soft mode?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes the 2.0 will not be hydractive (as we know it ..) is just a H3 not the + version. None of the 2.0HDi C5s ever got hydractive+. It was only on the 2.2HDi's and various petrols.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Spaces
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

A bit misleading that they should call standard-style suspension 'Hydractive'. I suppose it was the usual sales-bowlocks.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I suppose they call it hydractive because it adjust its height, at motorway speeds it lowers and over rough roads at low speeds the car raises. Though its not really hydractive :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well the upside is it makes it simpler - and I'm all for that :)

Peter