Total BV gearbox oil a great improvement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Total BV gearbox oil a great improvement

Post by charentejohn »

Just changed the oil in my 2.0HDI S2 Xantia SX and it made a great difference, especially when cold.
I didn't think it would be that different but now goes into 1st easily from startup, usually only that good when warmed up.

The oil I took out was clean but seemed slightly thicker, although I am sure it was the same grade, but the BV was very 'watery' by comparison. Unlike the old EP90 gear oils I am used to. I have read many times here to use Total BV but am amazed it makes that much difference.

I did add Forte gearbox additive at the same time (could have added it later for better comparison) but I assume this would take a few miles to work into the system. The improvement was immediate so I guess this was just the new oil.
Still surprised that a particular brand of oil would make a difference but it sure seems to.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Total BV gearbox oil a great improvement

Post by Peter.N. »

I think its synthetic or semi synthetic, I used it in my XMs, certainly is very runny.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

any brand BV spec oil should do the same
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

citronut wrote:any brand BV spec oil should do the same
"Should" being the operative word; according to CitroJim and others on the forum, the BE5 gearbox is very particular and it's said that Total developed this oil specifically for it - Jim says that the Comma version is almost as good.

Something I keep meaning to do as our Xantia's gearbox is a bit of a whiner, the oil was changed 5 years ago but not for Total as I didn't know any better then! :roll:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Funny you should mention it may be semi-synthetc as friend said it looked like it was from it's consistency.
We looked on the packaging but couldn't see anything, but if it isn't part synthetic it is doing a very good impression nof one. Just the look of it when pouring.

Main thing is it works well, does say in the advertising specially formulated for PSA boxes so must have some small differences. Other oils will do the job but this one definitely makes changing easier when cold.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

charentejohn wrote:Funny you should mention it may be semi-synthetc as friend said it looked like it was from it's consistency.
We looked on the packaging but couldn't see anything, but if it isn't part synthetic it is doing a very good impression nof one. Just the look of it when pouring.

Main thing is it works well, does say in the advertising specially formulated for PSA boxes so must have some small differences. Other oils will do the job but this one definitely makes changing easier when cold.
the important bit is the "BV spec" as thats the formula for PSA box's and shouldnt make much difference on brand,

all the different brand of BV spec gear oil states on the can for PSA gear box's
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years