Peugeot 406 V6 problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mahiman
New User

Peugeot 406 V6 problems

Post by mahiman »

I recently bought my first Peugeot and have inherited some problems. The stainless steel power steering fluid hose near the bottom of the radiator is leaking. Would you guys be able to point me to some websites that would sell this hose? Wouldn't mind if they were US or UK based. Does anyone have a diagram of the power steering system, I believe some of the other hoses are leaking also.

There is a fairly big oil leak from the oil sump, do these cars have a separate gasket or is it a silicone sealant?

The clutch also engages fairly late, is this a normal trait in these cars?

Thanks! :-D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Peugeot 406 V6 problems

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't know to much about petrol cars but the principles are the same. Can't help you with the pipes but I would suggest you look on ebay, that's where I get most of my bits. The sumps on the diesels just use silicone sealant so I would imagine yours is the same, the best way to use it is to run a bead around the mating surfaces and leave it overnight to set before replacing the sump, makes a nice spring gasket that you won't wipe off on reassembly.

The clutch engaging near the top of its travel indicates that it is well worn but not necessaraly about to fail, I bought a diesel one like that a couple of years and 22k ago and its still fine.

Peter
mahiman
New User

Post by mahiman »

Just had the leak checked out by a mechanic, it turns out that it is from the crankshaft seals :|.

I guess I could buy from ebay, but most of the stuff I have seen is used, I am just concerned that if I buy a used pipe it will just start leaking again. Does anyone know of any other sources for new Peugeot parts?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You 'pays you money and takes your choice' secondhand bits are usually much cheaper than new and generally OK unless you are very unlucky, it could make the difference between a viable repair and one that isn't, depending on the value of the car..

Peter