I prefer series 1 black bumpers?!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Black Bumpers

Poll ended at 20 Nov 2012, 18:01

Early Series 1 black Bumpers
31%
Later Series 2 colour coded bumpers
69%

Total votes: 16

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

I prefer series 1 black bumpers?!

Post by MTND »

Which do you like best series 1 or series 2?
Early black bumpers or later colour coded bumpers?

Just thought I'd ask as mine is black bumpers and I always prefer those :-D :-D :oops:

Regards
Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: I prefer series 1 black bumpers?!

Post by Citroenmad »

Where is the option for late series 1 coloured bumpers? :roll:

It depends on colour I think, a car like yours in white really suits the black bumpers and it breaks up the colour nicely. Im not a massive fan of all white cars with white coloured everything, they need some contrast.

On the whole I like coloured bumpers, they look smarter, like the bumper is part of the car rather than there for a use.

Also, to keep black bumpers black they need regular 'blacking' to keep them looking good.

So, for me, it depends on the colour of the car but on the whole, coloured.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Colour codeing FULL STOP.....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

colour coded its the only way
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Series 1 with colour-coded bumpers thanks although on a white car I really do like the black bumpers. White S2 cars with colour-coded bumpers look a bit wrong to me and so easy to loose in the snow...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Black bumpers.
Colour coded just look weird, and S2 bumpers look cheap and nasty.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

Citroenmad wrote: Im not a massive fan of all white cars with white coloured everything, they need some contrast.
I think this is good healthy debate :-D
I agree with you Chris, I've driven a series 2 car white with white bumpers and its too much white!
But the same could be said for all light cars, how many boring silver Xantia's were there towards the end of Series 2? And XM's for that matter? #-o :-D

Enthusiastically

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

They're called 'bumpers' for a good reason. :-D

They're inevitably the most vulnerable part of the car - the plastic is black under the paint so any scuff on a coloured bumper looks unsightly. :(

Unpainted bumpers are restored by 'vehicle preparation' professionals with the aid of a hot-air gun (a powerful hair-drier will do): wash the bumper thoroughly with detergent to remove all the old wax/polish/silicone, dry off (it'll probably go a bit grey) then warm gently - the trick is not to get it too hot, but to warm the plastic right through - DO NOT TOUCH - you'll burn your fingers and leave a nasty finger-print in the surface! It will now come back to black. With care and a bit more heat, dings and dents will 'relax' out. With care and experience it's possible to get quite bad dents out - provided the plastic hasn't actually cracked. Worth some time and trouble when you consider how much a new bumper costs.... :shock:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

CitroJim wrote:...... White S2 cars with colour-coded bumpers look a bit wrong to me and so easy to loose in the snow...
:lolsign:
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

I agree on black bumpers; they're there for a reason, trying to decorate them into invisibility seems silly to me. I'd prefer they look functional.

I'd have to disagree on the heat method being the best way of restoring the blackness though-they go grey with age because of oils being lost from the plastic. Heating it will bring what oil is there to the surface, temporarily bringing the black back, but aging the plastic more in the longer term. Peanut butter or olive oil; rub it it, buff the excess off.
Old-Guy wrote:They're called 'bumpers' for a good reason. :-D

They're inevitably the most vulnerable part of the car - the plastic is black under the paint so any scuff on a coloured bumper looks unsightly. :(

Unpainted bumpers are restored by 'vehicle preparation' professionals with the aid of a hot-air gun (a powerful hair-drier will do): wash the bumper thoroughly with detergent to remove all the old wax/polish/silicone, dry off (it'll probably go a bit grey) then warm gently - the trick is not to get it too hot, but to warm the plastic right through - DO NOT TOUCH - you'll burn your fingers and leave a nasty finger-print in the surface! It will now come back to black. With care and a bit more heat, dings and dents will 'relax' out. With care and experience it's possible to get quite bad dents out - provided the plastic hasn't actually cracked. Worth some time and trouble when you consider how much a new bumper costs.... :shock:
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Black bumpers look better on wedge shape cars as they show the cars profile and angles off better especially on the XM.

Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

An unpainted bumper might seem like a more practical idea and it is great if you hit a smooth object, like a car or a post, as it probably wont mark. However scrape a wall and it will have deep gauges which are difficult to repair without losing the textured bumper look. There are comapnies who can put the texture back on but its a hassle and not always a great job.

With a painted bumper every mark can be sanded down and painted, often by a smart repairer.

So both types of bumpers have their merits. 8-)

I just prefer to not park against things :twisted:
Old-Guy wrote: Unpainted bumpers are restored by 'vehicle preparation' professionals with the aid of a hot-air gun
I have heard of this trick and have been tempted to try it myself. However, I think there must be truth in what RobinMasters says. Now, I might be having a slow moment here ... but surely if all a black bumper needs to stay black is heat, then cars in hot countries would have black bumpers? #-o I think the oils do dry out and you can only get them back for so long. After that it is down to the back to black silicon dressings to feed the plastic again. In fact heat will only dry the bumpers out faster, which is why cars in hot countries have awful plastics, dull and often cracked!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I'm not anti colour coding but I feel the Xantia s2 bumpers are too rounded and lack any proper definition
the way the s1's have but where do the colour coded s1 Activa bumpers fit in everyone's feelings!? :lol:

My father runs a s2 Xm which manages to still have black bumper inserts as it's a SX not the full bells and
whistles VSX or Exclusive and I had a real dilemma about getting it fully coded by replacement door cappings
and bumpers but felt in the end it looked better with some contrast in the shape. I made these alternate
styling views to try and decide:

Ultimately it really does depend on the colour of the car as an all black colour coded car loses some of it's
visual styling identity over a black inserts contrast alternative.

Where it all goes wrong:
comparison
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is a difficult one, I like the fully colour coded as it suits an Exclsuive better and looks more up-market. However the black bumpers suit the silver colour 8-)
andmcit wrote: but where do the colour coded s1 Activa bumpers fit in everyone's feelings!? :lol:
I think they suit the coloured coded bumpers, partly for the above reason.

Unless a painted bumper is scuffed they always look good, where a black bumper looks shabby if it is not dressed with products.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Old-Guy wrote:They're inevitably the most vulnerable part of the car - the plastic is black under the paint so any scuff on a coloured bumper looks unsightly.
The black bumpers on S1 Xantia's were painted black at the factory and should you buy a new replacement that also needs painting black, originally they are grey :wink: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH