What gearbox do i have? Xantia X2 ESJ9J4

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evlo

What gearbox do i have? Xantia X2 ESJ9J4

Post by evlo »

EDIT: nevermind, it is ZF4.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: What gearbox do i have? Xantia X2 ESJ9J4

Post by CitroJim »

No it's not. It's the 4HP20. It was the only automatic gearbox used with the ES9J4 engine in the Xantia. It should clearly state so on the ID plate.

As this illustration shows:

Be aware the only ATF to use in this 'box is LT771141 and nothing else at all. there are a number of threads on here about it as well as the HP20 in general...

Rough changes into first are common...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evlo

Post by evlo »

Hello,

i deleted my first post so then your reply does not make much change, but what do you mean by "Rough changes into first are common..."? Like gearbox is dying? Or that it should be fixed with new oil?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Be aware the only ATF to use in this 'box is LT771141 and nothing else at all.
Hmm Jim, are you trying to substitute LT71141 for LT771141...
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:
Trembling hands from the stress caused by a certain XM MOT Andrew :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is my experience that occasionally and under some circumstances the change from 2nd to 1st can be rough. Often noted when slowing town to a junction, coming almost to a halt, seeing it's clear and then taking off again. 'Box will be in 2nd on the decelleration/braking phase and then will drop to first when accelerating away. I believe it's the auto-adaptive fuzzy logic getting it's electronic knickers in a bit of a twist. It thought a stop was on the cars and then suddenly finds it isn't and reacts a bit urgently.

They all seem to do it to a greater or lesser extent so nothing to worry about.

If you have formerly driven and old-school hydro-mechanical 'box then you may find the HP20 quite rough at times in comparison. The HP20 is an early example of the breed so is just a little flawed in places. It makes up for it by being absolutely brilliant in others though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
andmcit wrote:
Trembling hands from the stress caused by a certain XM MOT Andrew :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is my experience that occasionally and under some circumstances the change from 2nd to 1st can be rough. Often noted when slowing town to a junction, coming almost to a halt, seeing it's clear and then taking off again. 'Box will be in 2nd on the decelleration/braking phase and then will drop to first when accelerating away. I believe it's the auto-adaptive fuzzy logic getting it's electronic knickers in a bit of a twist. It thought a stop was on the cars and then suddenly finds it isn't and reacts a bit urgently.

They all seem to do it to a greater or lesser extent so nothing to worry about.

If you have formerly driven and old-school hydro-mechanical 'box then you may find the HP20 quite rough at times in comparison. The HP20 is an early example of the breed so is just a little flawed in places. It makes up for it by being absolutely brilliant in others though.
I imagine this is the box in my V6 that you are describing? It can be weird at times. It's fine when making progress, but I find it can be a little hesitant, or sometimes too keen to change down. I can't quite work it out yet, I'm sure it'll come with time and practice. For now, I just knock it back into 3 if I want it to change down and behave how I want it to. On the motorway and around town, it's a brilliant box, though I do do a lot of coasting along with it - I always back off and roll up to traffic lights, or traffic ahead going slowly to try and keep moving and keep momentum, rather than stop-start, so I don't suffer from it going into first as I'm often just tickling the throttle.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm actually describing all 4HP20s I've ever known Mike :) Yours in my experience was one of the better ones I've driven...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:I'm actually describing all 4HP20s I've ever known Mike :) Yours in my experience was one of the better ones I've driven...
It's like a naughty child, you have to be quite stern with it!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:lol: Yes, it is like a child because it has to learn from you :wink:

I'm having real trouble sleeping at the moment; hence I'm on here at this silly time :evil:
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I wonder if many insomniacs must be staying up awake late due to worrying about their Citroen?
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote::lol: Yes, it is like a child because it has to learn from you :wink:

I'm having real trouble sleeping at the moment; hence I'm on here at this silly time :evil:
It's all the adrenaline from misplaced worrying about MOT tests Jim... :P
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

andmcit wrote:I wonder if many insomniacs must be staying up awake late due to worrying about their Citroen?
No, I'm indoors because it's bloomin' 36°C outside and sunny.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

andmcit wrote:I wonder if many insomniacs must be staying up awake late due to worrying about their Citroen?
Oh, how close you may be to the truth. I lie awake wondering if my drive is going to be covered in LHM in the morning, or my cat is going to be flat under a car that's sunk onto it's bump stops..

Thankfully, tonight, I'm working until 7:30am and I came to work in the Berlingo for a change.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote::lol: Yes, it is like a child because it has to learn from you :wink:

It's all the adrenaline from misplaced worrying about MOT tests Jim... :P
What still? But yes, very possibly, it does take a day (night) or three to settle I guess...
What are you worrying (or have been worrying) about Citroen-wise then Andrew?
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: Oh, how close you may be to the truth. I lie awake wondering if my drive is going to be covered in LHM in the morning, or my cat is going to be flat under a car that's sunk onto it's bump stops..
Cats aren't that silly Mike. They instinctively know not to go under hydraulic Citroens :wink:

I did hear of a dog under a CX once. It survived fine but the owner found it spread-eagled under the car in the morning.

All this not sleeping reminds me of the insomniac dyslexic who lay awake at night wondering if there was a dog...
Jim