C3 MP3 adaptor?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reg091

C3 MP3 adaptor?

Post by reg091 »

Code: Select all

Girlfriend has just bought a second-hand 2012 C3 Rhythm and is disappointed that whilst the radio says "MP3" there is no input for an MP3 player.

A bit of research suggests that this actually means that it will [play CDs of MP3 files.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend an adaptor that will give an aux input? A bit of research suggests that you can use the CD autochanger connections. Anyone had any success with this?
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C3 MP3 adaptor?

Post by wheeler »

You can buy a genuine Citroen USB box that fits into the glovebox & connects to the CD changer port, this allows you to play music from a USB stick & it also has a 3.5mm jack plug input. This usually needs programed with a citroen Lexia aswell though.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I suspect that might be the best answer but think it will be well over £100. I think it is a bit tendentious of Citroen to plug the MP3 capability when all it means is that it will play MP3 recorded CDs.

Being a cheapskate, I simply copied a load of my music to CDs. If you pick a modest bitrate, not really a problem with my (older) C3 sound system, you can get 6 or 8 full length albums on each disc and that will see you through most journeys without changing it.

If you are using itunes, make a playlist, then I think its under file - library - organise library, although help will help. You can do it just as easily from windows media player.

I know that doesn't answer your qustion directly, but might give a short term or even long term cheap fix.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
reg091

Post by reg091 »

Thanks for the info. I Have identified two possible alternatives:

At £32 this looks like it will give me an Aux input:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CTVPG ... 595&sr=8-6

At approx £50 - 60 there seem to be a confusing amount of similar looking adaptors that will allow you to plug "properly" into the ipod so that the playlist, song title etc are displayed on the main radio display:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CITROEN-PICASSO ... 595&sr=8-3

I think that is the main difference between the two types above. There is the possibilty that the multichanger port will have to be enabled by Citroen MD for either of them though, obviously at a cost (£40 quoted on one forum).
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Reg I cant speak for your car as it's so new.. but I brought my C5 a connects box last month..
With mine I didnt need to use a diagnostics to enable it, it worked from the box so to speak..,

only issue, the volume is about 50% of the volume of the radio, internal cd player, I got around this by buying a small in-line amp, which sits between the input (mobile phone) and the connects 2..

it's ok now,., a £40 solution, which has the advantage of broadcasting ym phonecalls (so i have hands free now) and also broadcating the sat nav from the phone.. which is preferable to just usuing phone on its own.. anyway I digress..

John

edit..
with my Connects2, i have no control over what is being played except volume, and no track listing.. the main display just shows one or two long CD tracks being played.. when the phone may have a 1000 on etc..
I take it your car doesnt allow bluetoothing ? even if it does, maybe the mp3 player wont?..
reg091

Post by reg091 »

Interesting info - thanks jgra1 Where did you get the in-line amp from?

No bluetooth - this looks like a very basic spec radio, and mp3 players she uses are just that. I would have thought anyway that you would get a fair bit of audio degradation with bluetooth? Much like the FM solutions you can get.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

will get back to you on the amp thing Reg.
re bluetooth.. no its pretty good.. back in July a few of us rented a brand new megane estate.. once my phone was talking to the car, it was a really good feature.. leave the phone in pocket, car picks up on it and plays all the music, with proper display of tracks, pristine quality, very impressed...

totally sold on it ;)
reg091

Post by reg091 »

The very helpful folk at Connects2 confirmed the three adaptors that will work with the radio in this car (Siemens VDO RD4):

CTACTIPOD006.2 iPod connection only. Approx £55.
CTACTIPOD006.3 iPod connection + 3.5mm aux in socket. Approx £80.
CTVPGX011 3.5mm Aux in only. Approx £30

The ones with proper iPod "docking" connections will display some info on the radio display. The Aux in only doesn't. (There are FM ones as well of course).

I have ordered the CTVPGX011 and will report back on installation.

Thanks to all for your input.
reg091

Post by reg091 »

Job done and very easy:

1. Pulled radio out using those wishbone spike things (Halfords £5).
2. Plugged new connector into radio and the existing connector into the new one.
3. Plugged the small module that comes with the kit into the only available connector on the new wiring (there is no explanation with the kit what to do with this module. The one-page installation diagram makes no sense to me!).
4. I had previously soldered up a 3.5mm socket to two male phono connectors so plugged those into the new wiring.
5. Ran wiring down the inside back of the console and was able to "fish" for it at the back and pull it through into the area where the window switches are.
6; Drilled a hole and mounted the socket near the gear lever.
7. Switched it on and radio displays Aux input 1. Job done!