Newbie with a few C5 issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

craigC5
My Cars:

Newbie with a few C5 issues

Post by craigC5 »

Hi all, just bought my second mk1 C5 HDi so not totally new to these cars. My first was a great car with absolutely no issues whatsoever so have no experience with Citroen faults until now.

Firstly I can't access the fuel computer so I have no idea what kind of MPG the car is getting. The button on the end of the wiper stalk cycles between radio info and date/temp - however that is all I can get. No MPG or system check. The button next to the display doesn't seem to work either.

Secondly after a cold start the turbo will not kick in til the engine starts to warm up. Not ideal as I start work at 5am every day. I'm fairly sure it is a turbo issue as performance is totally flat, once the engine is warm it performs as it should. Also the engine management light is usually on while its running flat.

Thirdly one day after finishing work I couldn't start the car. It turned over but would not catch. The fuel gauge was showing there was fuel in the tank, however I couldn't remember how long since that needle had moved. I suspected either a sticking gauge or a fuel pump issue. I put more diesel in it and it started first time lol.
From time to time the needle doesn't move at all, then suddenly the fuel low light will come on.

Lastly I have invested in a decent Alpine head unit and changer to replace the standard (Clarion?) unit but I'm at a complete loss as to what adaptor lead I need.
I have been told I need a multiplex adaptor to reroute the power to the head unit - is this true? I have been looking at the leads on ebay and although there are plenty that claim to do the job I am completely confused as to which I need. If anyone can provide me with a link to the correct part I will be eternally grateful :-D

By the way I should add that my car is a 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 lx hatch in manual flavour.
Apologies for the wall of text on my first post :oops:
Cheers, Craig :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: Newbie with a few C5 issues

Post by mooseshaver »

I thought the LX didn't have a fuel computer.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yours being an LX, unless it is an automatic, will not have the larger central display and no MPG computer. However, you can fit them easily enough.

Sounds like a seonsor fault somewhere. Your best bet will be to find someone with a lexia and get a diagnostic session, that should tell you exactly what is wrong, or point you in the right direction at least.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
craigC5
My Cars:

Post by craigC5 »

I did consider it might have not been equipped with a fuel computer, but I just assumed it would have one as it has exactly the same display as my SX estate had, and that was equipped with a fuel computer.
Eventually I might invest in a lexia, but that really depends on if this car turns out to be reliable or not and if it would be worth the investment or not. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone with a lexia to try out, I have an OBD2 code reader but that doesn't read the C5.
Thanks for the quick replies guys :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

have a look at the superstickys there is a list of members with a lexia that may be able to help you out
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check the map in this link to DIS LEXIA location

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
craigC5
My Cars:

Post by craigC5 »

Thanks for that, if I invest in a lexia myself I'll happily add my name to that list :)
Will send a few pm's today and see if anyone in my area is willing to help :)

Can anyone assist with regards to the CD head unit issue please? My new one is due through the post any day now and I would love to be able to hook it up straight away - I need to know exactly what leads I need to connect it up :?:
2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

craigC5 wrote:
Lastly I have invested in a decent Alpine head unit and changer to replace the standard (Clarion?) unit but I'm at a complete loss as to what adaptor lead I need.
I have been told I need a multiplex adaptor to reroute the power to the head unit - is this true? I have been looking at the leads on ebay and although there are plenty that claim to do the job I am completely confused as to which I need. If anyone can provide me with a link to the correct part I will be eternally grateful :-D
If you want to retain the wheel controls (presuming your Alpine has a 3.5mm jack on the rear like mine has) you'll need this adaptor. Remove the plugs off the old head unit and insert them into the black block of the adaptor, the 2 leads of the adaptor now go into your head unit along with the 3.5mm jack (ask them for an Alpine patch lead). You'll then have a mission trying to fit all the wiring behind the head unit and getting it to push in, it will go but be patient to avoid trapping any wires. You'll also need a fascia adaptor, offer this up 1st and then push the cage for the Alpine in to trap in in place, don't do it the other way around it just falls out (learn from my mess up) :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C2-C3 ... 3f0e1023a7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-Fa ... 3a44af81ef

It should end up like this.....

Any more help you need, just ask

Andy
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
craigC5
My Cars:

Post by craigC5 »

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply Andy - really appreciate that :)
I'm not too bothered about retaining the steering controls but I don't mind paying the extra to keep them. So with that kit you had none of the common electrical faults that I keep hearing of?

I already have the fascia adaptor - got mine from same supplier but via Amazon, it was cheaper too :-D http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 00_s00_i00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see where you are coming from regards the space behind the dash - there doesn't seem to be much room there. Thanks for the heads up regarding the correct order in fitting the adaptor - your install looks factory - exactly the look I'm after!

Despite my other issues with the car I'm a happy bunny now that I can have decent sounds in the car again :lol:
Cheers again, Craig.
2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

No electrical gremlins using the Connects2 interface, i also did the same to a friends 04 C5 with no issues. I believe later models have canbus problems with wiring aftermarket radios but earlier ones seem fine.

Andy

(If you really want to improve the sound quality fit an amp and sub in the boot, it transforms the car.)
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

SaabC5 wrote:No electrical gremlins using the Connects2 interface, i also did the same to a friends 04 C5 with no issues. I believe later models have canbus problems with wiring aftermarket radios but earlier ones seem fine.

Andy

(If you really want to improve the sound quality fit an amp and sub in the boot, it transforms the car.)
Here here, I have a sub in the boot and direct replacement speakers in all doors. The sound quality is superb from the Kenwood radio and having the sub and speakers help get the most from the stereo.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
craigC5
My Cars:

Post by craigC5 »

Well got the leads ordered now, also had to buy a new 16 pin harness as the one that came with my head unit was a bit knackered lol.
I have a sub and an amp that I kept from previous cars - unfortunately I think that the amp isn't powerful enough for the sub :(
So for the time being I'm gonna look for a set of replacement front component speakers until such time as funds allow for a new amp. Can you tell me what size speakers I should be looking for and do I need any adaptors to fit them?

Thanks again, Craig.
2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX