Wiper blades

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Wiper blades

Post by froggy »

Hi, Where is the best place to buy wiper blades? Halfords a bit pricey! cheers Terry .
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Northern_Mike

Re: Wiper blades

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG and Citroenmad might be able to help with this one - both of them have some excellent blades on their cars.

Halfords are *sh1te* blades.

I got mine from http://www.wiperblades.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , chose their own branded cheapy ones and they've been absolutely fine.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Other half is always complaining about the wipers on her Xsara which always seem to drag and scrape. Splashed out on "the best" at my local motor factors which which cost about £30 the pair. They were ok for a while and then went the way of all the previous ones. Then I went the total opposite, £4.99 a pair delivered off e-bay and to be honest there was not much difference. Concluded that cheap ones replaced reqularly is the best option.

Rory
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I can highly recommend these:

Flat blades

They are pretty much unbeatable - especially at that price - have had several sets on Xantia and Picasso - they are so godd when new they literally scrape the accumulated grease off the screen. And they don't chatter - ever! Brilliant.
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I bought a pair of those ^^ and they are far, far better then the crap that was on my current C5 - which were in tatters admittedly.

The old C5 still had the original wiper blades (still has, I'm driving it while the other one is serviced).
I went to my local car parts geezer who wouldn't sell me the Valeo ones I asked for, he cleaned the screen with Glasgae Brandy (meths) and the wipers worked fine after that, still going strong three years later.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have used the flat blades on my previous Xantia, and I thought that they were pretty good. I got mine from Tesco (yes, really) at £7 each. When I get round to it Gracie will have a set as well.

I also use RainX on my personal car and the company van. Used correctly the visibility in the rain is incredible. I only apply it to the windscreen. Basically it seems to be a wax coating, so the rain cannot stick. This means no weird refractions, and, depending on the rake of the windscreen, the air travelling past blows the rain off the top. You have to re-apply it every few months (depending on how much you drive), but a bottle usually would last a few years. 2 downsides though; because (in my opinion) the visibility is so good you don't always realise how wet it is until you have to brake [-o< 8-[ [-o<, and if you are travelling after dark, and there are droplets on the screen, when you pass under a street light the droplets can fluoresce, causing a momentary loss of visibility. Tesco sell this as well (and to the moderators, no, I don't own or have shares in them either!)
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Got round to it, after seeing the link on this post for the e-bay ones.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:DickieG and Citroenmad might be able to help with this one - both of them have some excellent blades on their cars.

Halfords are *sh1te* blades.
The ones DickieG put on my HDi are Goodyear retrofit aero wiper blades. Being made by a top compnay such as Goodyear, they are superb. They fit the contour of the windscreen perfectly and operate very quietly.

I usually get some cheap aero blades from ebay for the Xantias, I got a set (front and back) for the V6 Xantia for about £12 posted.

You can't go wrong for this price

I go like these Goodyears though, I'll get these again when needed.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

wiperblades.co.uk for me as well.

I fitted mk2 C5 wiper arms new from the dealer so i could have propper flat blades and have Bosch flat blades. Tried cheaper one including champions but nothing beats the Bosch.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

ive got the tesco flat bladeds ont he Xant, and they are okay, they do suffer with sap spots though, regularly have to Clean the blade off, but they do okay,
i got soem blades from a chap i met through the trade some years back, he got them designed and tested in russia over winter, ive had them on both my bx (offroad for past 4 years) and the wife's fiat for the past 6 years, they have been absolutely Faultless, never had a smeared screen from them, had the occasional noise form them when they have litrally cleaned the screen of all water and squeeked a little, but on the whole, Fantastic,
the downside is that they were close to £25 each retail! - i got a 'development pair' for testing along with a Lot of other products, ;-)
http://www.xopc.co.uk/acrobat_extreme_wiperblades.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i do have to say though, applied Properly onto a Clean glass screen, rainX can take some beating!!! anyhting over 40mph and you barely need the wipers!! but, it does very much depend on how clean the surface is!! very fickle product in that sense, - i normally give it a good wash, clean the blades, Clay the screen, wipe down with IPA then apply the RainX! have tried shortcutting on the side windows but it doesnt work half as well!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I clay or compound the glass, too. Makes an awesome difference. Also a vote for the flat blade wipers from me.

Rain-X isn't good on the front here; you hit locusts at 90MPH (naughty, I know) and their body fat smears terribly, you can't clean it off like untreated glass.
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

Which compound to use?
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have seen people mention claying. Please, what is this. I have no idea.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Clay comes from the old trucking coaching days, it was designed to remove Fallout from the roads which would often be seen on coaches/lorries etc., a beigey brown tinge to the front end,
Lehm clay is the original name, but meguires pushed it into the automotive side in the mid 00's, basically with a liquid lubricant for most (bilt hamber use a water only one) you use a small section of clay, warmed up and wipe it over the surface, it removes fall out, tar etc. From the paint, various grades of it are available, like sand paper if you like, ultra fine, fine, medium coarse etc. It does help remove the contaminents, and is very good on glass,
If you should be unfortunate enough to fall on a Detailing forum they'll tell you how its an Essential part to your detailing routine! They all know this because they've read it on the internet somewhere! ;-) its essentially for use twice a year on the average car,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Timmo wrote:If you should be unfortunate enough to fall on a Detailing forum they'll tell you how its an Essential part to your detailing routine!
"Detailing" Grrr :evil: its called car cleaning :lol:

I suppose in this world of silly posh name tags dustmen are now called "Cleansing Technicians" :roll:

Anyway back on topic, I bought the said GoodYear wiper blades from Costco.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH