Saxo shock nut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Saxo shock nut

Post by spider »

Posting here as:

(1) Its the same as a 106
(2) This area is frequented a bit more often.

I'm trying to track down a knock / ping / crack type noise I have. Its certainly the shock tower area. It will 'ping' if you go to full lock either way a couple of times, it will do it more often than not. For example when I have to turn around in the road it will do it. Its not a driveshaft concern.

My first thought was a broken spring ( ! ) probably missing a small section although these appear OK from a visual inspection via a torch as best as I can see without dismantling. I've actually yet to see a broken spring on a Saxo / 106, ever come to think of it. Seems to be one of the few models that do not appear to suffer with it.

As far as I can see in situ the top mounting / bearing is good too. I'm sort of suspecting the nuts holding the damper cartridge 'inserts' are at fault as I'm struggling to think of much else at the moment. Not the strut top nut at the top, the one holding the damper insert into the strut itself.

Yes the bottom wishbone and balljoints / bushes (I know rears go often I've changed hundreds of them) appear to be good too, certainly no play where there should not be any.

I'll see if I can find something to check their tightness as soon as it warms up a little bit (its really cold here today) although unless they were *really* loose I cannot see them making a noise personally.

Just after any thoughts, the noise does indeed sound like a broken spring, that kind of ping / crack noise but they appear to be intact. Very occasionally it will do it over a speed bump too but that's quite rare. Have I overlooked anything obvious ? :)

I'd rather have replacement parts here first than take it apart then have to rebuild it / find a lift to obtain parts especially as my spring compressors went into limbo a few years ago, never to be seen again.

EDIT... Its not particularly loud, although having said that I can hear it with the windows shut and with the TUD running so I guess it may be louder than I thought.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Saxo shock nut

Post by citronut »

we have this very same fault with the Synergie we bought from John (thatfatbloke ),

i havent yet dismantled this one for exactly the same reason as you,

not 100% sure but at a guess i would say its the strut pivot bearings dry or breaking up
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks Malcolm.

As I say I've not dismantled it (I was really hoping to see something without) but as you know that's not too likely.

It really does sound like a spring concern, when you can see they are intact. :D

Thanks for the thought though, I'll have to whip it off and have a closer look I guess. At least its very easy on those, probably just as well as its going to be a "roadside" job. :) And the top mountings are sensible in price as far as I know.
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my thought and checks have been exactly as yours Andy

i have been looking for a pair of complete second hand front struts just as a backup plan for this synergie,

wont cost a lot for a Saxo
Regards, malcolm.

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

You can check that nut, well more a collar without taking the spring off, the dust cover will come up in situ, easy to eliminate now :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Chris570 wrote:You can check that nut, well more a collar without taking the spring off, the dust cover will come up in situ, easy to eliminate now :)
this is true but i personally cant see how/why this nut would cause the issue on Andy's 106
Regards, malcolm.

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

i can't think how it could cause it either but its an easy one to check :) I've heard of the nut coming loose on an ax before as an fyi :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks for ideas.

So little time and when I do have time its too cold or dark. :D , such is the joy of roadside maintenance.

I'll check the shock securing nut as I did suspect that too, although given its fitted to the car and in situ the special tool would not fit anyway, mind you some large grips will at least confirm if its tight or otherwise, I know they should be very tight.

I am swaying towards the top mounting though, even though a cursory glance (not ideal I know) did not reveal anything.

I may have to have to drop it off where we used to contract out work when we were too busy for a quick look, they are quite reasonable. Unfortunately where I used to be a few years ago has now closed so I can't get a 'free' look anymore.
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

get a second hand strut, fit that whilst you check the old one, shouldn't cost a lot for a S/H unit and its easy enough to swap over
Regards, malcolm.

spider

Post by spider »

Sorted a few days ago.

Was quiet for a day or two and now its noisy again, different noise this time though now it really sounds like the bottom ball joint, as its raining I've not stuck a prybar in to determine this, although the top mount *did* cure the crack noise. To be honest its such a common noise now (the deep knock) I barely need to look to know the balljoint is asking for attention. Lower arms are cheap anyway.

Guess what I'll be doing when I get a chance...
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

It came back, well it got replaced by a different noise.

I've replaced both lower arms (they were original! as the floor sealing was intact) there was some play in them to say the least though. The os ball joint was quite bad, a result of the excess of speed humps around here an no way to avoid them.

Its still making a noise, its a weird deep "clunk" although (its difficult to test on your own!) there's no movement in the trackrod ends, at least as far as I can tell. Steering feels precise on the road, certainly well up to par on a 106 / Saxo. The shock insert nuts, I put a large pair of grips on them as no one has the correct tool that I know of, they are FT (to coin a phrase) as far as I can tell, certainly I cannot move them.

I'm starting to learn towards a problem with the rack although I fail to see how it could make that kind of noise. As soon as I can grab someone to assist me with some wiggling (oh-er!) I'll determine the cause.
Andy.

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

anti roll bars/ anti roll links or do they have them on your 106/saxo, i know on my 106 from a long long time ago (iirc) it didnt have them,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
spider

Post by spider »

Yes it has them, bolted to the lower arms. They appear OK though.

I have tried and noticed the noise (which you can do stationary) only seems to occur if the engine is running, ie the power steering pump is energised. I need to confirm this and I suspect its the ram or its mounting / bushes may be the cause if its that, as that's really the only difference without any pressure I'd expect.
Andy.