Xsara EGR valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avin44
My Cars:

Xsara EGR valve

Post by avin44 »

Does any one know where the EGR valve on a 1.9TD xsara is positioned, I believe it is under the intercooler but would like to be sure before I start taking things off.
Cheers
up, up and away
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xsara EGR valve

Post by CitroJim »

I guess if the Xsara has a top-mounter intercooler than yes, I suppose it is.

The actual location is on the RH top side of the exhaust manifold (as you look at the engine in the engine bay) and looks like a little lantern.

What's the interest/problem with the EGR valve?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
avin44
My Cars:

Post by avin44 »

I was told that the EGR valve can get very dirty or clogged up and could be the cause of a high reading for the emissions test at MOT time, every year my car struggles to get under the limit, no matter what I have tried, nothing seems to make any difference, someone mentioned that the EGR valve could be the cause of this and I was wondering if this is true or not.
up, up and away
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

it wont hurt to take it off and give it a clean as they do get caked up with the crap from the exhaust,

your lucky on citroens that they only have 1, on my old 2.8 frontera i had 2 of the bloody things, both of them got disconnected and blanked off rather quickly

on all my cars i disconnect them (even my hdi xantia) as every car i have the egr valve connected it seems to smoke like a trooper (especially at night you can see it more in ppls headlights behind you), disconnect it (well take the vac ppe off and shove a screw in it so you dont lose any vaccum) and for me at least the smoke stops almost instantly,

i know someone will come along and tell me to reconnect it but what you lose in the tiny bt of mpg you lose you gain in having a clean burning engine without exhaust gas caking up your inlets,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
avin44
My Cars:

Post by avin44 »

Hi Lurchy666,
Thanks very much I thought that might be the problem, I will locate it and at least give it a clean if not blank it off.
Cheers
Colin
up, up and away
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The EGR should have no effect on economy whatsoever. It's there merely to reduce NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen) emissions and absolutely nothing else.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
avin44
My Cars:

Post by avin44 »

Thanks CitroJim ,
Cheers
Colin
up, up and away