Xantia XUD running temp permanently low at 75 not 90

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Xantia XUD running temp permanently low at 75 not 90

Post by andmcit »

Newly purchased car with indicated 88k miles!

The car runs well enough but has occasionally stalled and can be a git to hot start but I put this down
to a leaky primer bulb/return pipe circuit which will be relplaced this weekend. The car is showing
symptoms of a leaky heater matrix as it mists slightly and you can smell the unmistakable curry odour
but K-Seal seems to have seen that job off for a while hopefully.

It's the running temperature that is causing some concern. I'm wondering if I need to check that there's
a thermostat fitted in the feed pipe from the head to the rad as without one it will feed any hot water
to cool sooner - probably done by the previous owner to minimise strain on the heater matrix leak.
Would this explain the low reading or am I better suspecting the temp sender or dash instruments?
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Xantia XUD running temp permanently low at 75 not 90

Post by Xantidote »

Andrew,

Yes, definitely go for the thermostat check first. Your idea that it might have been removed to ease pressure on matrix holds water (ha :-D )

Could be simply that thermostat has failed. Mine failed, and the temperature the engine ran at was very similar to what you're finding. Easy to replace, most time being spent topping up the coolant and getting rid of the excess air. My only regret was that I didn't get round to doing the job very quickly, and may have encouraged carbon build up on the valves.

What are you doing with TD - thought you were more into V6?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The car is actually being used by a family friend - v6's are more my thing sure,
although economics dictate that I do run a TD XM 2.5 and Xantia TD too!

Least it seems like the symptoms have been on your car too and it was the
thermostat!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Thermostat was my immediate thought too. Mine failed with opposite problem - the 'Waxstat' had lost most of its wax so 'stat opened little more than a crack - all OK if I drove really gently. Got caught out on M4 in Wales (it goes up and down a lot!) and had to creep back to Gloucestershire where the hills are smaller!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Quick test for a thermostat Andrew. Start up from cold and constantly feel the top hose. If it gradually warms then the 'stat is missing or stuck open.

If the 'stat is good the top hose will remain cold right up until the 'stat opens and then the hose will suddenly get hot..

Have you fixed the gear cables on the 2.5 yet?

All TDs in my experience never start as well from hot as they do from cold. Glowplugs are just as important for starting a hot TD as they are for starting from cold..

Do you see any white smoke out of the exhaust whilst hot cranking?

K-Seal is terrible stuff. I have a freeing it helps weld the matrix connector together and makes it jolly tricky to separate when you come to do the matrix :evil:

Forte Stop Leak is the best temporary fix...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

My TD only reaches 90 degrees while going up a long and steep hill, it generally sits at 75 even with a new thermostat. I thought it was an overpressurised coolant system not letting the thermostat shut, but it appears to have not gotten any worse in over 2 years so I just accept that coolant temperature. The oil reaches operating temperature still so I don't worry about it.
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Hi, I changed my stat the other week as the gauge rarely got above 60, new stat rated 83 degrees and now the gauge stays around 75-80.

Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

my old 1.9 td always ran at 75 ish only way to gt it any higher was to go up a very steep hill or give it the beans,

my hdi only ever gets to 75 even on them hot days we had a few months back
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg