306 Steering rack 'Clonk'

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

306 Steering rack 'Clonk'

Post by rossd »

My 306 has developed a 'clonk' when pulling away and turning left hand bends. I have traced it to movement on the nearside track rod, the wear seems to be on the inner joint (the outer balljoint is new). Can a repair be made here? There is about 1mm (eg excessive) up/down movement if I grab the rod and move it. Is it going to be a Pug dealer job to get the parts??
Help!!
Ross
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

It shouldn't need to be a dealer part, but I recently bought some suspension parts from a motor factor for my 406, which were half the price of the dealer parts, and they were faulty.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Have the same problem with my zx 1.4 with power steering there is up and down movement in the inner track rod end. I have been told by one citroen mechanic who replaced the inner track rod ends that this movement is normal and the clonk is the front suspension strut mount of something, and by another citroen mechanic who I have used for a few years that it is wear in the bush in the rack. However I have been told that this is not dangerous and the car has passed its mot like this so im not really really worried about it.
I also get an occasional knocky clonking noises but I can live with these as they are not loud. Pug dealer will take approx £500 of you for a new rack and thats without the labour. And they may need to drop the subframe which is going to be really expensive[:(].
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

My 306 too have the same clonk problem but it happens when I do a hard right hand corner. The PAS stiffens and the clonk sound follows.
I suspect that somehow the bearing of the macpherson strut mounting is faulty and seizes intermittently under pressure during corners.
Before I remove the struts for inspection this weekend are there any other suggestions from the experts out there ?
Thanks