2.0 HDI Berlingo starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trackdayrider

2.0 HDI Berlingo starting

Post by trackdayrider »

Hi all - first post so here goes! :)

I have a 2004 Citroen Berlingo multispace 2.0 HDI , which has been completely reliable in the 5 years I have owned it.
Always self maintained and I can wield a spanner with no worries (With a mitsubishi and a bike in the garage I have to !)

The Berlingo doesnt get used daily but has recently developed a problem on the first start of the day. Warm or cold weather doesnt make any difference.

First turn of the key the car acts like the battery is flat (Which it isn't) and only just cranks over.
second turn of the key it turns over but rarely fires
third turn - it starts easily as if everything is normal.

I recently serviced it with fuel/oil and air filters.. Very fine metallic bits in the fuel filter, which I think is an indication of a fuel pump issue.
all glow plugs working ok and the battery is relatively new (early this year)

Once the car has run - it starts absolutely fine the rest of the day

My thinking has been along the line of a problem with the starter motor ?

not sure if the fuel pump issue would cause the problem I'm getting?

any thoughts / ideas or anyone who has experienced something similar would be welcome :-k

Cheers

Mark
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 2.0 HDI Berlingo starting

Post by spider »

Welcome. :)

I'd start by (follow correct battery procedure for a plexed vehicle though) by examining the condition of the heavy battery leads, both of them at both ends. You may find its something as simple as a corroded terminal.

It could well be the battery going now we're approaching winter too, from someone who used to sell a fair few batteries it is about that time when the weaker ones start to fail.

The engine does need to turn at a reasonable speed on the starter before the ECU will signal the injectors to open if I remember correctly.

I thought about the oil viscosity but that seems unlikely unless its really cold where you are, ie Norway or suchlike. Having said that the fact its better later in the day...

Personally I'd start with the leads as the only cost is a bit of time, then if no better have the battery tested (properly not with a heavy discharge tester either! :D that will finish a weak battery off) and if needed replace it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
trackdayrider

Post by trackdayrider »

spider wrote:...
I thought about the oil viscosity but that seems unlikely unless its really cold where you are, ie Norway or suchlike....
Thanks for the reply - yeah its gets a bit chilly up here in the frozen wastes of Sheffield lol - but I recon we're just about still above freezing :-D

I'll check the connections (battery and starter) next weekend and go from there.
Cheers
Mark
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I shall be doing this on mine this week too - mine is a 2004 HDI, and it's got a bit slow at starting. Seems to churn a bit and take longer than usual.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have metal particles I would change the tank fuel pump, if they find their way into the HP pump or injectors they will cause damage.

Peter
trackdayrider

Post by trackdayrider »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:I shall be doing this on mine this week too - mine is a 2004 HDI, and it's got a bit slow at starting. Seems to churn a bit and take longer than usual.
Let me know how you get on Mike - will be the weekend before I get chance to look at mine.

I'm still of a mind that the starter motor is the problem. If it was a battery issue it would attempt to start best first turn of the key and get worse on subsequent attempts to start, but the reverse is happening.

but need to check/clean all the connections first.

Cheers
Mark
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Peter.N. wrote:If you have metal particles I would change the tank fuel pump, if they find their way into the HP pump or injectors they will cause damage.

Peter
If this is an 04 berlingo HDi it will most likley be a Siemens injection system meaning no in tank fuel pump.

Have you tried puting a jump lead between the battery negative terminal & the engine casing before you start the engine to rule out an earthing problem ?
trackdayrider

Post by trackdayrider »

wheeler wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:If you have metal particles I would change the tank fuel pump, if they find their way into the HP pump or injectors they will cause damage.

Peter
If this is an 04 berlingo HDi it will most likley be a Siemens injection system meaning no in tank fuel pump.

Have you tried puting a jump lead between the battery negative terminal & the engine casing before you start the engine to rule out an earthing problem ?
That's a great idea - I'll give it a try tomorrow when I take a look
Thanks!

:)
trackdayrider

Post by trackdayrider »

Just to let anyone interested know, that I fixed it by replacing the starter motor £64 inc VAT and exchange from euro parts in Sheffield.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I have a replacement starter motor here for mine. However, since servicing it and replacing all the filters, it starts first crank cold or hot now.