Xantia x2 speedo and rev counter stuck in full position

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia x2 speedo and rev counter stuck in full position

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,

I have just had to jump start the Xantia S2 it is a 1989 model and the speedo and rev counter dials are stuck at the top of each scale can anybody please help me to release the needles back to zero with some good advice?

It has really been one of those days thus far.

many thanks in advance

Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
reblack68
My Cars:

Re: Xantia x2 speedo and rev counter stuck in full position

Post by reblack68 »

It's never happened to me but I believe nudging the needle back down with a paper clip through the trip zero button hole is the way to go.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

reblack68 wrote:It's never happened to me but I believe nudging the needle back down with a paper clip through the trip zero button hole is the way to go.
Either that or remove the instrument panel then flip it over to allow the needles to reset and refit, the problem normally occurs with a flat battery.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

What would you use that would be flexible and long enough to
nudge the rev counter if going with the mileometer button
opening route as this has just happened last Monday to my V6!?
I can see it working a treat for the speedo using a paper clip but
the rev counter seems more than a reach!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On an S2, it's not a big job to pop the instruments out so I'd go with Richard on this. Certainly easier than on an S1 that's for sure...

I have heard of some people drilling a very small hole in the dial glass to get a suitable implement in to reset the needles...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

since I purchased my 2cv and got it on the road in february this year I have been loosing interest with my xantia it is so much more complicated and a real pain in the neck at times. I have even been considering getting shot of it lately.
falling -out-with-my-car is what is happenning slowley it is a money pit unlike the reliability and easy maintanance of the 2cv
Thanks for the suggestions nothing is ever straight forward with a flamin xantia is it?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:nothing is ever straight forward with a flamin xantia is it?
Compared to an XM Nigel, everything on a Xantia is very straightforward :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The trip reset button pulls off, leaving a skinny little shaft.

Wrap your paperclip tip in tape, to avoid scratching the dials.

Try nudging the rev counter closer to its hub. Once it is de-stuck, a few miles driving will allow it to return as a normal needle.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

I had the same problem too. when i bought my car. you can reset the speedo with careful use if a 1/2 flat battery and crank the motor to bounce the needle just as you did to get it on the wrong side but instead have it land on the left not the right. but you need the piece of wire for the tacho.

doing the wire thing:- i used fuse wire as it was flexible enough and small enough to fit past the trip meter button. i folded the end back on it self so i wouldn't scratch the clocks. i did both needles in about 3 min..... then started it again #-o with a flat battery about 1/2 an hour later. took me less than 1 min second time around.

it's a lot easer than you think and once you have done it you'll quite clever because according to Citroen you now need to replace the clock an they are $650. :shock:
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
falling-out-with-my-car

Re: Xantia x2 speedo and rev counter stuck (solved)

Right here is my S2 Xantia Solution it took me roughly ten minutes to get the pointers back in position.
The speedo has a reset and maintenance shedule reset button but the rev counter has no buttons at all.
so I pushed in the speedo button and let it slip from my thumb letting it out very quickly this created enough vibration to flick the needdle from 150mph to 60mph where it remained stuck I then switched on the ignition and it flicked itself back to zero again that was that one fixed but the rev counter was another problem altogether I decided to try wrapping cotton wool around the end of my 24volt battery hammer drill and undoing the chuck and leanning it against the front of the rev counter dial only turnning the chuck enough to tighten the chuck without the chuck rotating in hammer mode this did not damage the rev counter glass, the vibration wasn't enough to flick the needle around this one was going to be a pain in the neck.

fortunately there was already a crack in the clear plastic in front of the rev counter so I heated the end of a paperclip with a zippo lighter and put a very small hole through the plastic with my paperclip it will stop the crack from going any further and is virtually invisible anyway, I then used the end of my paperclip to tease the centre of the pointer of the rev counter back to its zero position, no dials out no removing them and turning them upside down and all in the space of ten minutes.
My Xantia is nearly 16 years old and has served me very well for the last 7 years a tiny little hole in the dash glass isnt really going to bother me very much it is an every day car not a pristene show car thank goodness, although I am told it is in very good condition for a diesel estate car.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I hope others can solve this problem just as easily at least on an X2.

(Oh and dont forget to put the battery on charge at least over night or it will happen again)
I usually charge my battery at least 3 times a year but this I must have over looked it is probably due to the disgusting weather we have had through late summer.

Best wishes.

Nigel.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Did my rev counter this afternoon - the wire and welding rod wouldn't work through the mileometer
reset button and a big cable tie kept bending away from the needle. A smaller cable tie did the trick.
Unfortunately I did catch the frame surround which left a small mark when I tried some stiff wire
prior to being successful. :( I'm forever going to have my eyes drawn to this imperfection instead of
the speedo - don't think that will wash when I try and explain being caught speeding though...
Last edited by andmcit on 06 Oct 2012, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Pleanty of S2 speedos here.. :wink:

Probably add up the milage of both clocks though.... :?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
ken w
My Cars:

Post by ken w »

Chaps,

Fixed the tacho in 10 secs.

The tacho in my Activa was reading 10000 revs when I bought it 2 years ago. So I dutifully took the instrument panel out and found I just needed to turn it upside down to get it to rotate back to the zero stop. I also took the PCB of the instrument meters and cleaned up all the electrical pressure contacts onto the board at the same time. Unfortunately I did not realise that my main beam indicator light was blown at the time so it still is.

I have just come back from a 6 week trip away where Frog had been ''minding'' the car to find the tacho wound right around again. So I have been thinking about this for 2 weeks then I decided to google the problem and up came this thread. So I read you thread and went down to try and pull the trip meter reset button off. No joy, fingers not strong enough and I was not game to use more force. So then I tapped the horizontal panel in front of the instruments and the needle moved. A few more taps and it was floating quite freely at about 9000 rpm. So I turned on the ignition, and the needle wound right back up to 10000 rpm trying to get back to 0 I suppose. So I thought maybe if I can rev the engine and hold it at 5000 rpm, then tap the panel in front of the instruments it might swing back anticlockwise to 5000 rpm. Hey Presto, tacho swung back to 5000 rpm and is now resting back against the zero stop.

So if you can get the needle to move by tapping the assembly somewhere, you just need to rev the engine to over 3500 and it will swing back as the needle comes loose. I suspect the speedo will do the same if you go for a 120km/hr drive and tap its needle loose as well.

Cheers, :lol:

Ken W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Now that is a good tip Ken, excellent :-D
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car

i pushed in the spedo reset button and let it slip past my finger the vibration of it pinging out agian was enough to flip the spedo dial around the clock. I couldnt get the rev counter to move at all.