oil in water?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

oil in water?

Post by froggy »

Hi, There is a Xantia, T.D. for sale, near by. There is oil in the water! should I walk away? or is it worth buying? is it a resonable price, any thoughts, Terry . :?:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
froggy
Donor 2023

Re: oil in water?

Post by froggy »

sorry it should say, IT IS a resonable price
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It depends Terry. It could be just a duff oil cooler. They can let go and cause oil to mix with the water. If this is the case it'll be clean black oil. You can tell by bypassing the cooler on a temporary basis and they're not hard to swap.

Or, it could be a head gasket letting go. Possibly them the oil will look like mayonnaise.

To check the head gasket do the normal tests like looking for bubbles in the coolant and seeing if the top hose goes rock hard almost as soon as the engine is started...

Another good question to pose is if it is loosing any coolant on a regular basis...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

cheers Jim
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

I would say you are right Jim. It looks like the oil cooler. is it an easy job? never done one before, cheers Terry .
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, oil filter off, pinch the two coolant hoses, disconnect same and undo the big nut holding the cooler on.

The bigger job is ridding the rest of the cooling system of oil. I've no hard and fast advice but some sort of soap solution flushed through. I've heard of people using laundry detergent (bio or non-bio!), some using dishwasher detergent and advice against either. Perhaps even well diluted Gunk or patio cleaner might do the job. Whatever, all traces of both the oil and whatever you use to remove it will need to be very well rinsed out afterward...

I'd be inclined to listen to some more advice on that matter though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

cheers Jim
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep sounds like oil cooler to me,
as Jim says the worst part of the job it getting the oil out of the cooling system,

i have done a very bed one before, not on a citroen but a Saab,

i disconnected top and bottom rad hose's, remover thermostat and disconnected both heater hose's at the engine end,

then flushed it out every which way and back again till cleanish water came out everywhere,

reconnect all the hose's and fill with clean water and add one can/bottle of coolant flush, follow instruction on the container,

then flush out with a hose again, then run a second coolant flush through the system
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
xenton

Post by xenton »

I've heard people recommend the holts 2 pack stuff, but that is aimed more at de-scaling and rust removal really.

Most coolant flushes - Wynn's, carlube etc.. are non foaming detergent based, so would be as effective as washing up liquid without having to fill and rinse a bunch of times to get all the bubbles out.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Been there - replaced the oil cooler, but as Jim says, despite lots of flushing, the whole cooling system has acquired a coating of engine oil which slowly floats to the top (i.e. the header tank).

Like Jim I'm very wary about the idea of using detergents in the cooling system because those that are really effective at emulsifying oil are strongly alkaline - death to light alloys! I'm currently exploring the idea of using oil absorbent pads - the idea being to cut up one to the cross-section of the header tank and float it in the top of the header tank until it's soaked up the oil. One possible problem could be the 50% anti-freeze mix - technical enquiries currently outstanding.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)