Lexia cable pins. Are these faulty? PIC LINKS ADDED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nickyg
My Cars:

Lexia cable pins. Are these faulty? PIC LINKS ADDED

Post by nickyg »

Hello all!

Trying to understand why my lexia has not communicated with either the suspension or the multifunction screen RT3 ECUs.

So, I've taken the step of dismantling the 16 pin connector, upon the advice of some who have noted the Chinese clones can have poorly fitting connectors or been sloppily assembled.

I have seen that there are 15 wires, crimped onto 15 contacts, and one empty "slot". 4th from right top, I think (at work here). There is also a short wire not connected in the cluster, quite a ways from reaching the plastic fitting.

I am aware that redundant wires may not be a definitive indicator (observe the inside of your telephone wall socket!) but was hoping someone could shed any light on this.

Are all 16 pins supposed to carry information? It would give me a starting point in finding why this non communication is happening, and hopefully rule out issues with the ECUs themselves, which would be good!

Thanks!
Last edited by nickyg on 05 May 2013, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Lexia cable pins. Are these faulty?

Post by Mandrake »

How are you testing it ?

If you go into global test I'm finding quite often on mine that one or more ECU's will at random not be detected when it scans the whole lot at once. However try selecting the one that has failed to communicate anyway, or go via the test per function option instead of global test. If it says it failed to communicate with the ECU just press enter to try communication again. (If necessary more than once)

For example I've found with the air conditioning ECU I might have to try 2-3 times for it to connect, however once it does connect it stays connected and reads all the data correctly etc.

If that doesn't work turn the key off then on again then try again.

If I had to guess I would say that the timing of the initial handshake sequence between the software and ECU's is quite fussy, the Hydractive ECU in particular takes a long time to handshake... and its possible that the clone interface boxes are a bit marginal on timing.

Also make sure you're entering the correct VIN number and RPO number if prompted for them. (On my Xantia it asks for VIN but not RPO)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

4th from top right depends if you are looking at the plug or the socket and which way up you hold it. http://www.obdtester.com/obd2_connector
I got that link from googling SAE j1962 which is supposed to be the official standard for the interface plug.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote:If I had to guess I would say that the timing of the initial handshake sequence between the software and ECU's is quite fussy, the Hydractive ECU in particular takes a long time to handshake... and its possible that the clone interface boxes are a bit marginal on timing.
Hydractive is the same with a genuine Lexia, HDi ECU's take that delay to a new level by taking a long lunch break before they even consider having a chat with Lexia :lol:

With the Chinese clones it appears that to enter the A/C menu it's almost essential to go via the individual test and turn the ignition off then back on.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Any luck nickyg ? Going into the individual test for the applicable ECU and pressing enter to retry when it says it failed to communicate (more than once if necessary) should do the trick. If not turn of the key, turn it on, wait 5 seconds and try again.

I discovered that my Xantia DOES actually have a rear view mirror ECU, at first it never seemed to show up in the list, it seems to need the ignition turning off and on then a couple of attempts to connect, and low and behold its there. :)

The only devices that don't respond with repeated attempts are the side air bags, I'm assuming it doesn't have any, although not sure how to confirm this...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can check via the build sheet (on Service Citroën) if it has lateral airbags.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Just checked my *ahem* Citroen service data and it looks like my car has no side airbags or side intrusion bars. Guess that explains that...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Hello again everyone!

I'm the OP on this thread, so I hope you won't mind that it is revisited, with some new information and pictures!

Ok, since my initial query I helped a friend with his C4 a while back. I was able to clear codes etc, and thankfully helped with his central locking issues.

However, I noticed that, again, 2 number of  ECUs failed to communicate. This is the same amount (but not the same ECUs)  falling to communicate with my particular lexia on my C6. This piqued my interest, and has led me to believe there is a distinct possibility that my missing pin may be designed to carry information from 2 number ECUs from the OBD2 socket.

I am to replace drop links, another N/S Frip joint and wishbone bushes on my car ASAP. However, I have a requirement for access to my suspension ECU to reconfirm the suspension heights via lexia after work to the wishbones. Hence my renewed cry for help!

I will add some pictures, showing the missing pin, loose cable and the orientation that pin has in relation to the green cinch connector in the hope someone may be able to shed some light on this. I know it may seem presumptuous, but if anyone with the cloned Lexia takes 2 minutes to undo the 4 bolts on the housing to take a comparative look, I would be forever grateful! There are no wires to be unclipped or undone etc, the housing just clamps on over the black and green terminal connectors and screws tight with the 4 screws.

Thanks everyone, hope I can get an answer one way or another on this, so I can either buy a new Lexia, connect up the unterminated (red and white) wire, or in a worst case scenario, start investigating my ECUs that fail to communicate.

Nicky :-)

Note: when attempting to upload my pics I am getting a message that board attachment quota has been reached. I will attempt to upload again in a little while. Thanks
Note 2!: Thanks Mandrake, have tried this then (am a long time user of dropbox, but never before used it like this) hope this workaround displays ok!... The BBcode wrap doesn't seem to display, hopefully the three direct links below that will take you there ok. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6xazmq7wesap1k/Lexia1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2fwz8kfdyujlak/Lexia2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p7mrdgamqsb7nl/Lexia3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by nickyg on 05 May 2013, 14:46, edited 6 times in total.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi Nicky,

I too have reached the attachment quota on the board, I don't think you can do anything once that happens, I now upload images to Dropbox and link to them using the img tags...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Lexia cable pins. Are these faulty? PIC LINKS ADDED

Post by Mandrake »

The trick to linking Dropbox images is that you right click on the image file in the list of files in dropbox and choose "Copy public link", this will copy a URL to a plain image file, rather than the full web page that the normal link provides. (The latter of which won't work in the forum img tags) You can then paste that inside the img tags on the forum and the image will appear in-line on the forum post.

As to your problem itself, I'll take my plug apart to check the wiring and report back.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've just taken mine apart and it is wired the same as yours NickyG. Mine comes from EasyDiagnostics - the wiring seems slightly better quality than the one in your images, but the same wire is not connected.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere for the problem Nicky, my Lexia cable is missing the same connection, as seen in the following picture:

All other pins are used and there are no left over wires. According to the wikipedia page its pin 5 which is "signal ground". Pin 4 is chassis ground and although technically there is a distinction between signal and chassis ground in all likelihood the vehicle links pins 4 and 5 in the diagnostic socket or vehicle wiring loom anyway.

So that won't be it! :? Having said that, have you checked the condition of the connections on the round plug ? If you push the retracting section down check that none of the pins are bent and broken. There is a pin (13) which is half the length of the others which looks like its damaged on mine but there is no matching female terminal in the plug that plugs into it, so that's a bit of a red herring too...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Thanks for the effort guys... Really very much appreciated, thanks!

Not the outcome I was hoping for, though!

As I am so far away from other FCF Lexia owners, I think my plan of action now will be to see if Citroën are going to be rolling out their summer service offer soon. I need my aircon regassed anyway, so will hopefully get a confirmation at that point from the dealers Proxia/Lexia as to whether there are any issues with my ECUs. If they gain full communication I will then invest in a new Lexia, hopefully of superior quality.

PS: I checked all male and female terminals on the round connectors, and all seems in order. Out of interest I, too, have a male 13pin and no female 13 to match it.

Again, thanks for the input thus far.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:The trick to linking Dropbox images is that you right click on the image file in the list of files in dropbox and choose "Copy public link", this will copy a URL to a plain image file, rather than the full web page that the normal link provides. (The latter of which won't work in the forum img tags) You can then paste that inside the img tags on the forum and the image will appear in-line on the forum post.
so convoluted :lol:, wish Dropbox would have that copy public link from the right click menu on the desktop...

For images I prefer http://imgur.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, drag from a windows explorer window into the website (in Chrome at least), click 'start upload', then it even gives you the bb code for embedding ready for copying :) Easy-peasey and no worrying about hitting a quota :)

Can also crop and resize,etc on the site too which is quite handy.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have seen you mention that site previously Ben. Just had a nose in and registered, looks good.

May not be that clever though as I have hundreds if not thousands of images on Flickr! Potatobucket, ImageShack and some Google place I can rarely find (not Picasa - too invasive). Takes me forever to find images sometimes. Spent hours last week trying to find a recently saved one and failed miserably.

Never considered Dropbox for linking images although I do have a Dropbox account with a folder of images in it.