Xantia 4sp Auto Flashing Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sam KS
My Cars:

Xantia 4sp Auto Flashing Light

Post by Sam KS »

How can i go from one minute thinking how cool the Citroen Xantia it to getting a phone call from the trouble n strife and then i'm thinking "F#$%ing Froggy pile of $%^t,garlic crunching RUBBISH pile of stinky P00!!!" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :grr: :grr: :grr:

She rings me to tell me there are lights flashing at her on the dash. when in drive the "S" and "*" are flashing and no light next to the drive light on the dash. when driven in this state it reacts like it's low on fluid. when "3" is selected it drives as it should.

Any ideas?

oh, did i mention this is exactly why i don't like auto's.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You really do need to put it on the Lexia.

The fault could be anything from a selector switch, to electrovalve issues, to oil wear counter, to low fluid, to a stuffed gearbox.

FWIW I have put 130K on my rebuilt autobox including "clutch" dumps, street racing, heavy tows, forced downshifts and it's only just starting to show its age. So, your odds of a cheap fix are probably good.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 4sp Auto Flashing Light

Post by Sam KS »

thanks, i have been asking auto shops about them while i've been out n about since i got the car and they all say Citrowhat? it's exactly what i've been scared of. I've been meaning to flush the auto box and replace the fluid with Dexron 3 but have had other things to fix first.... any how "Lexia"? is that like a OBD2 diagnostic system?
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

will this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEXIA3-OBD2- ... 27c8883d04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-V1-5-ELM ... 20c91a899f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or can some one recommend a simple unit for me to use? I have been meaning to buy an OBD2 reader for my Triumph 955i but so far have managed to borrow the dealer tool but my contact no longer works there.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You don't want a generic OBD scantool. It need to be a Lexia, whether pirated or genuine (pirate ones are the most common). The only other one which I have seen talk fairly well, is the big Launch tool - which costs a forchoon anyhow.

Mine came from the "BuyOBD" website but there are plenty of competing vendors.

This should get you started: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280981268710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need at least a GB of RAM in a laptop running XP, for good operation, and ideally one with a DVD drive so installation is easy.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Thanks, i'll ring John at GS motors also and see if he thinks it's something i should tackle my self or take it in. (2 hours each way) but as long as i'm keeping the car i think i'll order one.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Sam, do NOT put Dexron 3 in your gearbox unless you want to kill it. Many people will claim its compatible with Dexron 2 but it is not. Search the forum for Dexron 3 threads and you'll see what I mean.

A Lexia is an interface box, cables and Windows based software for diagnosing any recent Citroen or Peugeot including the Xantia. It can do EVERYTHING a dealer can. See the last couple of pages of the Lexia sticky thread at the top of the forum. The clones are becoming very cheap now, I've just ordered one recommended by DickieG for £110. :) Not all clones are created equal, it's best to get one that another forum member has tried and had success with.

A must have to maintain your own Xantia somewhere like Aus where Xantia parts and know how are scarce!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it shifts 1-2-3 normally enough when driven in the "3" position it's probably just the multi contact switch needing slight adjustment - they can be finicky.

If it otherwise behaves as normal once restarted, but then faults fairly smartly, it's likely to be the pressure regulation electrovalve.

Neither issue requires a Lexia to fix, but it assists in diagnosis.

There are a lot of AL4 boxes getting around in Australia with assorted brands of full synth transmission fluids in them, notably Hi-Tec, Penrite and Nulon. The price of LT71141 is going up and up with Mobil, so I will probably jump ship within the year to Nulon full synth.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: There are a lot of AL4 boxes getting around in Australia with assorted brands of full synth transmission fluids in them, notably Hi-Tec, Penrite and Nulon. The price of LT71141 is going up and up with Mobil, so I will probably jump ship within the year to Nulon full synth.
I wouldn't. How much is LT going for now in the Antipodes Adam?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Is not just 3rd and reverse available 'limp mode' ? as these are more or less relying on just the mechanical action rather than electronics to control the solenoid valves.

I have seen electronic box's by other marques do the same when they fail, usually you can manage to get back home with it like that.

Andy wonders how many problems with this box are due to the wrong fluid being put in, either by accident or otherwise as its not that obvious. I would be checking with fellow members here with any PSA auto what fluid was recommended before risking it.

I've not quite got my head around why say later Dexron (the 5 or 6 are sync I think) vs LT fluid. I do not understand why Dexron could cause damage, I may need to do some research, without looking the only thing I could see it causing problems with is the brake bands possibly. I'm not that well versed on auto's internally. I know how its supposed to work, well sort of you fix some sun / planet assemblies back to back and by holding or releasing each part of you obtain forward and reverse speeds. :D

Note I'd not put it in mine if I had one if fellow members told me to use LT that's what I'd use. Just I do not understand the chemical differences in it compared to LT
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

useing DX3 was down to listings i have seen from oil co's

Agip - DX3
Penrite - DX3
Mobil - ATF220 (DX2)
Nulon - Multi ATF (DX3) or Syn Multi ATF
Castrol - DX2 or Transmax M
Shell - DX3
Gulf Western - DX3
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: I've not quite got my head around why say later Dexron (the 5 or 6 are sync I think) vs LT fluid.
Andy, we had a huge row about this (by FCF standards) a while ago and there's a big long thread on the subject somewhere...

Basically, it all boils down to some purveyors of ATF claiming their brew is compatible with and usable in 'boxes that state they need LT. When you look more closely at the spec. of the ATF in question you find it meets Dexron standards. Now, Dexron and LT are very different fluids and reading the ZF recommendations with care shows that LT is the ONLY ATF they recommend for their 'boxes that are specified for LT. Other 'boxes in their range can use various grades of Dexron-spec. ATF and they state this clearly. The fact is there is no substitute for LT and no Dexron-spec ATF is, whatever the BS on the label might state.

It's not helped by the rather confusing way ZF write their specifications and recommendations - something was lost in translation I believe - and what they say is open to interpretation if not carefully studied in context with their whole product range and fluid specifications therein.

Fundamentally, if Fred's Carlos Fandango whizz-bang fully synth ATF with added dog-clutch extract says it's good with LT AND a range of other ATF specifications (including Dexron whatever number) then it isn't. End of. LT is unique.

This is a minefield... the old 4HP18 on my XM for instance, runs on Dexron II; a mineral ATF. Although supposedly OK, it's thought a bad idea to use any higher Dexron in these boxes so Dexron III or IV is not advised as they're synthetic and do not have the correct properties as compared to Dexron II.

I believe an autobox, especially an auto-adaptive, is best running on the ATF specified by the manufacturer and nothing else.
Sam KS wrote:useing DX3 was down to listings i have seen from oil co's

Agip - DX3
Penrite - DX3
Mobil - ATF220 (DX2)
Nulon - Multi ATF (DX3) or Syn Multi ATF
Castrol - DX2 or Transmax M
Shell - DX3
Gulf Western - DX3
I see LT mentioned nowhere in that list Sam. I rest my case :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

:bd: :cd: :bd: :yeah: did i tell you how i love this car. \:D/

it seems to have fixed it self [-o< . after speaking to DS Motors it sounds like it's a worn selector switch. and thinking about it, it got very wet while bleeding the cooling system. #-o i'm sure that wouldn't have helped.

any how was offered to borrow a customers scan tool but valued at $15k i said i'd send my wife in for him to scan (the car not her) and try and find the problem. my 20lt of Agip DX3 should be in tomorrow so i'll start changing the ATF this weekend. any one know the procedure and/or the sump plug washer size?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sam KS wrote:any one know the procedure and/or the sump plug washer size?

Yes,Sam. PM me your email address and I'll send you the official procedure...
Jim