Replacement front brake discs Mk1 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Replacement front brake discs Mk1 Xantia

Post by bigblackfalco »

Just looked on ebay and the list is extensive. Many different makes and prices.
Bearing in mind my Mk1 has done 165 Miles .... what are my sensible options?
What is OTT in terms of price and performance and what is to avoid ... are the really cheap discs any good?
Cheers.
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Replacement front brake discs Mk1 Xantia

Post by myglaren »

These people: Brakeparts keep being mentioned and appear to be satisfactory as far as cost, quality and delivery are concerned. I can't personally vouch for them though.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

A 'set' of of new BrakeParts discs came with the spares estate that I bought a year or so ago. The box for the front discs was inadequately identified (simply said something like "Xantia front 94 on" and, not surprisingly turned out to be for petrol saloons - I've still got them if anyone wants them. The box for the rear ones actually said "Xantia estate". The good news was that the discs are properly stamped with nominal and minimum worn dimensions exactly like Unipart discs. I fitted the rears a couple of weeks ago, but all I can say so far is that they fitted perfectly with minimal run-out. Like the originals, they'll probably die of rust rather than wear..

I'd be very careful to specify disc dimensions as well as model because the model designations for Xantia pads and discs in most suppliers catalogues are hopelessly inadequate and even plain wrong - data and detailed instructions here.

I've just had a look at http://www.brakeparts.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and their catalogue makes a pleasant change - dimensions correctly quoted (but I'd still check the actual discs supplied before starting work to fit them!)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've been using http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for about five years after BX Bodger of this parish recommended them. They seem to be exceptionally cheap for brake discs and timing belt kits, both of which I've bought on several occasions and never been disappointed.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

bigblackfalco wrote:Just looked on ebay and the list is extensive. Many different makes and prices.
Bearing in mind my Mk1 has done 165 Miles .... what are my sensible options?
What is OTT in terms of price and performance and what is to avoid ... are the really cheap discs any good?
Cheers.
Just be perfectly clear, the estates all use LARGER disks and Pads and are NOT the same as 1.9 TD, V6, or HDi 110 disks and pads. The V6/HDi disks and pads are bigger again.

So theres 1.9 TD / Petrol 1.8 8v, 2.o 8v and 16v disks and pads.
then there Estate Disks and pads slightly bigger
then theres V6/HDi Disks and pads.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Post by bigblackfalco »

Thanks guys, I was actually hoping someone might be able to point me towards a make that worked well and gave good value for money etc.
My worry with buying the really cheap ones is that they will wear quickly and possibly might warp?!
Cheers.
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

reblack68 wrote:I've been using http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for about five years after BX Bodger of this parish recommended them. They seem to be exceptionally cheap for brake discs and timing belt kits, both of which I've bought on several occasions and never been disappointed.
Wow! That's cheap. £12.37 inc vat each for discs for the Berlingo? Really?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That's the kind of money I've always paid for discs there. A quick search threw up a similar question on an Alfa forum but everybody seemed happy enough with them there too. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147 ... -good.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.