Xantia lower ball joints....?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taxi-Paul
My Cars:

Xantia lower ball joints....?

Post by Taxi-Paul »

Hi, I've got some years mechanical experience behind me, but am Taxi Driving at present and no longer in the motor trade.
I've done my fair share of ball joints on motors but very few on citroens. I have a Xantia 1.9td year 1995, and am pretty convinced their shot, at least the near side one is anyway, it's also wearing the edge of that tyre on the same side.
I just wanted to ask advice regarding the difficulty ie what tools needed? and more importantly the procedure regarding the suspension, as in what height so as to lever the lower arm?
sorry if I'm sounding confusing, had a beer or 2 [:D] (well, It's my night off![;)] )
ps, Great Forum [:D] Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hey - TAXI !
- you're asking for trouble [:D]
Anyone tried those swivel joints (lower balljoints) WILL definately agree - that it's a job best left to anyone you hate the most [}:)][:p][V]
There is a special tool socket that fits over the joint - but it will most definately either break down or just crunch the joint - w/o moving it. Best used for refitting the new joint.
The balljoint is screwed into the lower control arm - tapered thread - Locktite on the threads - and most likely threads are rusty. The thread size is some 1". On top of this - the joint is secured by peening - in 2 locations.
Start by jacking up the car at front - then remove roadwheel and loosen (do not yet remove) the joint lower nut.
Then release the 2 peenings.
Using a large Stilson try if the joint will move - stop BEFORE something breaks in your back [:(]
Instead heat the joint - not red - but enough (some 150degC) ensuring the Locktite surely is soft.
Then try again.
Protect the CV joint & gaiter against the heat - also be carefull the hub is not heated - boiling out the wheelbearing.
From now on it's violent force - and carefull the car won't tilt off the stands.
The tool used for fitting the new joint :
http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tool ... 3583P1518M
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Not straightforward like the BX ones then?
I've undone the bottom balljoint on several BXs as a shortcut to removing the CV joint.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

You don't remove the balljoint on a BX to change the CV jount, You just split it from the lower wishbone. The procedure above sounds very much like BX except that the BX isn't tapered, and is often not locktited. Loads of thumping and heating if available is par for the course, although sometimes..when you least expect it..they come out really easily :)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Anders I don't know about the BX but the actuall ball joint on the xantia is screwed into the bottom of the hub carrier, it connects to the track control arm via the normal taper method, I wonder if this is what you mean as I can't imagine the BX being different to the Xantia.
I haven't had the pleasure of one of these buggers on a citroen yet, but if I do, the hub carrier will be coming off and I'll have in on the bench[:)]
Dave
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I see, my mistake.
The only time I had to replace a BX balljoint I also needed the hub doing so got the whole lot from a 'motor vehicle recycling centre'. [:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Arrrhhh - sods [8D]
I certainly meant the hub - NOT the control arm - rubbish [:I]
Tx Dave [;)]