Intermittent ABS problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Intermittent ABS problem

Post by CitroJim »

It sounds to me like either the sensor was damaged then they did the bearing or they removed it and did not replace it properly. The fault is very similar to if the sensor tip is too far away from the reluctor teeth due to incorrect assembly.

Also, are the reluctor teeth clean and free of all grease and other debris, especially metallic debris. Check too the sensor tip is free of metallic debris.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's it Mike, the reluctor ring on the driveshaft CV joint. On later Xantias it's quite common for them to rust and split. They can be fine until knocked, say, whilst doing the bearing job and they then split and leave a gap between a pair of teeth. Eventually they get loose, spin and then fall off.

Luckily they are replacable easily enough. Also, in pulling the driveshaft out of the hub it's quite easy for the reluctor ring to touch the tip of the ABS sensor and damage either. A good garage would have removed the ABS sensor first to avoid damage and in doing so they might not have reassembled it correctly and left it high, especially if the were not sure which side of it the heat shield went. Basically, the bit of the sensor with the mounting hole through it has to sit tight against the hub carrier and the tab of the heatshield goes on top, not between the sensor and the hub carrier.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:I'll check the heatshield Jim, so its fittest otherwise it raises the sensor by a mm or two?
Absolutely so Mike, Yes.
Jim

smc6

Post by smc6 »

I've had the same type of problem with my Xantia 1.8i 2000 and checked the resistance of ABS sensors in the ECU. There was no connectivity in the resistance on the Right Front - pins 19 and 20 as show on what I believe is the Mk2 connector.
Xantia_ABS_ECU_conn_pinout.jpg
I need to confirm that the right front on a right-hand drive Xantia is the O/S or driver's side of the vehicle. Is this correct?
Appreciate the help offered on this forum as it has helped fix a few problems on my Xantia. =D>
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I've always assumed that right hand is as from sat in the driver's seat. I had a sensor go on the nearside and this turned out to be the l/h side. As a further check before you buy another sensor, there is a connector under the wheelarch that the sensor plugs into. I would repeat your continuity test there to eliminate the loom between the abs ecu and this connector.

HTH
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
smc6

Post by smc6 »

Appreciate the tip, I'll check it first. Thanks very much.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's the pad wear light Mike..

If the pads are good then suspect a chafed wire between the pad and the connector block on the suspension strut.

They work by earthing the contact through the brake disc when the pads are well worn. Naturally if one of the wires is chafed and earthing it will have the same effect. The wires from the pads have to be routed with some care to prevent chafing.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's what I'd reckon Mike.. You may find it happens on steering too.
Jim