C5 2.0 Hdi Help identifying broken part

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marc118118
New User
My Cars:

C5 2.0 Hdi Help identifying broken part

Post by marc118118 »

Hello all, first time poster in need of a little help finding out what my broken part is.

I have a 2003 citroen C5 2.0hdi 110, and while changing the air filter I have somehow managed to destroy what appears to be a sensor mounted immediately at the front of car to the right hand side. The part in question is a small back unit (1-2inch) has a 3pin electrical connector at one end, and a small pipe stem (the broken part) that attaches to a small 'L' shaped hose which joins directly into the air intake manifold at the front of the car. The part was mounted on a very loose bracket at the top of the radiator and somehow I have managed to break the small pipe on which the small hose sits clean away from the rest of the unit. Hence this part/sensor is no longer connected by hose to the inlet manifold, the car still runs but seems a little lumpier than normal.

I have no idea what this part is, first time I have ever had a car with an HDI engine and while I try to do little jobs like routine servicing, i am far from a mechanic.
Any advice on what this part is would be greatly appreciated, along with potential cost for a replacement.

Thanks guys
marc118118

edit: I have managed to grab a screenshot from a foreign video on youtube, taken from a 407 but seems to be the same part in question in the same place.
Attachments
unknown part.jpg
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: C5 2.0 Hdi Help identifying broken part

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think you mean on the left of the engine i.e. at your right hand when looking at it, if so that would be the intake pressure sensor an essential part of the engine management system.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that'll be right although perhaps more correctly the boost pressure sensor. In any case the engine will not be happy running with it like lit is as it'll just be reading atmospheric pressure.

Can you not do a temporary repair using superglue? If I read correctly it's the pipe spigot that's broken and with care it can be glued back on. The plastic is pretty well glue-resistant generally but it should do as a fix until it can be replaced...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
marc118118
New User
My Cars:

Post by marc118118 »

Thank you so much for a quick reply, yes it is on the left side (right side when Im at the front) sorry about that.

Boost Pressure Sensor, that's the answer I needed so thanks once again, In the process of a temporary repair, tried Loctite 420 glue I had knocking around but it didn't bond strong enough, so trying to build up the joint with some resin liquid and hardener i found in an old fibreglass repair kit. fingers croosed ixii

A quick look on the bay threw some of these sensors up for about £42, would it be a wise decision opting for one of these, or should I be looking for official parts which no doubt will cost me an arm n leg. ??

Cheers
marc118118
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's always worth checking the price with Citroen; they have a funny pricing structure based on a random number generator.

Some things you think will be arm and leg stuff turn out to be silly cheap and other stuff you think would be reasonably priced turns out to be eyewateringly expensive. There's no logic to it at all...

I've used sensors from the 'bay in the past with no worries...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

£45 IIRC.
I was supposed to fit one to my estate but never got round to it.
Wasn't needed as it goes like s**t off a shuvvel now (I have it back over the weekend while they fix my daughter's Clio and she has my hatch)
The rear end is all smashed in, again! Ran down the road into a 4x4.