XANTIA REAR SUSPENSION PROBLEM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MARKSMAN
My Cars:

XANTIA REAR SUSPENSION PROBLEM

Post by MARKSMAN »

1995 XANTIA 18i 16v
rear suspension goes down when engine starts then whilst driving rear suspension raises to max and stays making rear suspension solid there is ticking coming from suspension every couple of seconds had new front and rear spheres fitted 4 months ago
any help much apreciated
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I believe there are 3 separate faults here:
1. Rear sinking on engine start is usually down to the rear anti-sink sphere being flat. This sphere is located in the centre at the rear of the car.
2. Suspension running at max is usually down to the plastic link between the anti-roll bar and height corrector failing. It may be possible to re-locate this, but it having popped off once it is likely to do it again, so needs to be renewed.
3. Regular ticking is most likely the accumulator sphere being flat (located on the engine).
WARNING: Do NOT crawl under the car whilst it is supported by the suspension only - it is liable to drop suddenly and sqaush you (especially if you are tinkering with the suspension). Use axle stands, or ramps, or a proper lift.
Richard
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I suspect that the front suspension rises when the engine starts. There is clearly an overpressure in the rear suspension. I would first see if lowering the suspension with the control lever makes any difference. If not, I would suspect that the height corrector is stuck in high and I would have a look at the linkage which is known to fail. I see that you are new to the site so I'll give you a piece of obvious advice
well known to those of us who work with height correctors. It goes like this: There are those that work with secure axle stands, there are those who work with ramps, there are those that work with vehicle hoists and there are DEAD PEOPLE.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Read the thread a little further down on Xantia rear suspension: Our most experienced sorceror makes a convincing case for a ruptured anti sink sphere at the back and a suspect accumulator sphere at the front; about £40 worth, and he usually knows what he's talking about, whatever I may think to the contrary:-)