Brains & Experience req'd please...XUD9

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

8323mpa35

Brains & Experience req'd please...XUD9

Post by 8323mpa35 »

Hi
I'd like to pop a 'lock-up' automatic gearbox onto the back of the XUD9 engine in my LDV Pilot (rear wheel drive). Have any of you learned gentlemen ever attempted this feat or could point me in the right direction please? There must be a box that'll fit.....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What is a LDV Pilot ?
My Citroen BX19 diesel is powered by a XUD9 - and this model is also available with a ZF4hp autobox - but for front wheel drive only.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Anders
It's a van, mate! LDV is Leyland Daf Vans in a past life - common in the UK as used by our Post Office.
Not aware of any rear wheel drive vehicles using this engine - obviously if it's PSA and built in the last 50-odd years it'll be front wheel drive (come on, someone remind me I'm wrong [;)])
Only option I can think of is if the same engine has seen service in other commercial vehicles - do LDV offer an auto option, I'm guessing not?
Could always convert it to FWD I suppose [:D]
Adrian
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If you have a box that will fit, then it would be relatively easy. Most vehicles fitted with this engine are front wheel drive, only the Mahindra and the 4x4 BXs being driven at the rear whels afaik. That being said, diesel BXs have been converted to automatic with no trouble and if your LDV has a Peugeut motor as standard and an optional fit automatic then I am sure it should be possible. Anything can be done, but it is usually expensive and requires a fair bit of engineering skill
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Have you spoken to your local LDV dealer to find out if there was ever an auto option? And why do you need to do this? maybe it would be better to go for the Nissan power unit as used in taxis?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adrianeaton</i>
[
Not aware of any rear wheel drive vehicles using this engine - obviously if it's PSA and built in the last 50-odd years it'll be front wheel drive (come on, someone remind me I'm wrong [;)])
Adrian
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There was a car, produced in one of the East European countries around ten years ago which used the XUD engine and that was fitted as a rear wheel drive.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Bound to be a manual Comrade Yvan but how about something like a Sierra diesel? I think some Mondeos had the XUD but I don't know about Sierras. The other option might be a Transit
Jon

Post by Jon »

Todays useless fact.
It was the FSO Polonez that used the XUD9 mated to rear wheel drive. It was a manual box though.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Early sierra's had the peugeot 2.3 diesel and this was also fitted in the big wide body LDV vans, though IIRC they were called Leyland sherpa's then.
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Then you've got the good old Pug 505 with the forunner to the XUD with pushrods'n all. That was available with a slushbox, . . but arn't we getting a bit close to the 50 years now . .
//NiSk
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Ahh yes, the XND engines. The 2.5 in the 505 used an auto box as said above.(ZF4HP22, used in loads of european cars). Was made until about 10 years ago. Engines last forever in those tanks, we ran one until 350K miles before selling it on.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Sounds as if an early Sierra bellhousing from a 2.3 (which I think was manual only - I remember it was as slow as death...) might be capable of matching up to any later Sierra slushbox - think the turbo D's had an auto option? Would then need a new prop made up and that should be about it.
Adrian