How quick should it be???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

How quick should it be???

Post by gjb02 »

ZX 2.0 16v that is. I sold a Saxo VTR (Black,lowered, Magnex, PiperX low mileage, etc.) to Citroen, got absolutely ripped off by the Citroen Dealer they gave me £4000 put it on the forecourt for £6295[:0], this was after the salesperson told me he'd put it up for about £5000-£5495.They have to make a profit, but £2295!!!! Thats over a third more. Still that's another story.
So, I've now got this ZX 16v but I'm unsure if it's as quick, it's geared differently and second doesn't reach 60 mph like the Saxo did, so the extra gear change to get up to speed seems to slow me down. I'm 31 so I'm not racing people I just like to enjoy the car!![}:)]Anyone know what speeds each gear reaches??
And on a completety different thread how do you lower the clutch bitting point?? My clutch bites when my knee's in my face[B)]. No sign's of it being worn though??
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Its worht remmebering the VTR is a lot lighter than the car u just got, diferent gear ratios etc. not sure about the clutch[:D]
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

I think the ZX 2.0 16v stats are :
0-60 in 8 secs
Top speed of 137mph
And the Saxo VTR :
0-60 in 9.3 secs
Top speed of 116mph
Ofcourse 0-60 and top speed never give a true indication of real life performance, but as there is a fair bit of difference between then you would expect the ZX to be considerably quicker, however I would expect the little Saxo to "feel" quicker even if its not.
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

believe me, a propery running zx 16v is very much quicker than a VTR,
a VTS may have quicker accerleration but the zx will have more torque and power for a motorway struggle
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ref the clutch...
I think the 2l engines use the same inside-out clutch as the Xantia TDs. Now on mine the biting point is near the top of the pedal travel (adjusted according to Haynes book of lies at 140mm travel), but I think it will ALWAYS be at the top due to construction/operation of the clutch, therefore the pedal travel could be much less, eg, just enough to disengage the clutch. Anybody got any further info on clutch adjustment for the pull type clutch?
RichardW
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

If you want to lower the biting point why not just slacken the cable adjuster by a few turns? (Provided you don't go too far to cause the clutch to dragging with the pedal on the floor.)
I actually did the opposite; by taking a bit of slack out of the cluch cable the pedal height increased and gave me a bit more space for the old left foot when cruising...
Jon

Post by Jon »

I would have thought that the Zx 16v would p**s all over a Saxo VTR, the original of which was just 90 BHP compared to the claimed 155BHP of the ZX. The very latest Saxo VTR has 100BHP, and are ideal for lowering and driving with the front fogs on at all times! :-)
Seriously, the ZX 16v was very fast car, I've driven a few and certainly on the Motorway I'd say they should be much quicker than the Saxo.
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

yea it is a very quick car, but, anywhere other than a long strech the 1.9 volcane is quicker, more drivable anyway, i miss my 1.9,
if time stood still for two minutes and cars didnt age so quick id have another over my 16v.
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

as regards to the cluth, my 16v one is very light and bitting point is midway, it has had a recent clutch tho, before then it was an unpredicatbel nightmare with biting point right at the top. u say it isnt going? or its new? are u sure about this? raise the revs with your foot on the break to about 2500k rpm then releasd the clutch v slowly (not all the way), if its going it will start to slip
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I should have let you try my ZX when we met up for those bits Ben. You wouldnt belive the low down torque it has. Any gear from about 2800rpm has amazing pull and the difference as it comes on power then is quite ridiculous. It is so different to the BX 16v lump in my Visa that is more akin to what youre talking about and generally with tuned 16vs in that you have to rev them up.
The book figure for my 150bhp zx is 8.4 and ive got a road test report quoting the same. Slightly slower than the others but down lanes etc its brilliant as you dont need rev it so much.
I did a highly "accurate" (ahem) test before where theres this road I pull out of and a distance up the road is a tree. Going flat through the gears changing at 6600 every time just before the cut out i can hit 90. If i only rev it to 5000 i still hit 85 by the tree. Not much difference really. Thats the only problem with mine, yer its great down low but then you get on a dual carriageway and it feels gutless high up as you get no pull at high revs even though the peak bhp is still supposed to be at 6500
regarding cluthes, mines so stiff that its a joke, time to try cable change again.
Yer the 1.9i's were nice, not quite as stiff, smaller brakes but then they were ~100kg lighter
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

My earlier 155 bhp is so different to yours!
mines really gutless before 4000 rpm, u really have to work it hard, it loves reving tho after 4k , really pulls well, so much so you get caught out by the rev limiter everytime if you dont look at your rev counter, i wouldnt mind a spin in yours! i miss the low down torque that the 1.9 had, accerlertion in 5th gear in the 16v from 50mph is a joke theres nothing! my rover metro picks up quicker but in the volcane it was amazing, now i know its going off the subject a bit but has anyone ever driven a 2.0l 8v astra gte? my brother had a g reg one, the torque in these things is amazing! it must have a totally flat torque curve! pulls like a train in every gear, they are not the outright fastest things around by no means but accerleration is the same no matter the rpm in any gear, real fun (until you hit a corner in the damn things!) max torque occurs at 2400 rpm no joke!
Jon

Post by Jon »

I reckon that we ought to say more about the original ZX 1.9i Volcane 8v.
Truly these things accelerated like nothing else but quickly ran out of gears on the M-way, there you were looking for 6th!! Rev happy and quick, great fun. Only a few original J platers left, but what a great drivers car on A and B roads.
PS I do agree about the Astra GTE, fast car without the need for constant revs and thrashing.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

50-70 in top is quite quick. If you take it a bit higher and do 70-90 its quite obscene on the motorway. When I get time I will get my friend to film the rev counter when I do a few tests much like he did in my Visa 16v before :) and i can upload the video
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

cheers Darren, I recieved your cheque this morning, all up to me now to promise my end of the deal!
(and i will)
regarding the 1.9 volcane, im seriously considering one now, trying to look around but seems most are in the scrappy [:(] wouldnt mind one with leather and air con[:)]
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Ben, agreed that would be a nice combo [:D]
I would imagine the ZX with one of those options is as rare as the proverbial rocking horse waste product [:p]
Since it's similar period to the BX I imagine the options weren't cheap - seem to remember leather wasn't too bad (£400?) but air-con was £1k+ for the BX.
Only ever seen a couple of BX's with both fitted from new - and they were ex company cars with mileage to match.
I have seen a couple of ZX's with leather, but these were the later 2.0 version.
We considered a Volcane when we bought the Furio a few years back and 1.9's were still fairly common, but we only looked at 2 'low mileage' cars and they both had electrical faults and big oil leaks going on so we steered clear. 2.0 was too expensive for us then.
They're only worth what people are prepared to pay for them so it's always worth trawling Auto Trader every now and again for that bargain buy! Good hunting (and let me know if you find a BX with that spec while you're at it [;)][:D])
Adrian