The story of a man and his Peugeot 405s

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
Junkman

The story of a man and his Peugeot 405s

Unread post by Junkman »

I became a fan of the Peugeot 405 by coincidence.

We were looking for a car primarily for my wife to use. We both like automatics, so we were just looking for a nice car with an automatic.

We found this 405 GTX 2.0 automatic:

Despite we actually quite liked the car, I sold it a year later because I gave her this as a birthday gift:

It proved to be too impractical for everyday use. That's why we sold it when we found this:

It was another 2.0 GTX Automatic, but this time a break. At the time of purchase, I did not yet realise how rare they have become in England. But I later checked on howmanyleft, and it turned out that there were nine!

You can imagine how devastated I was when this happened on our summer holiday in Germany this year:

This was to be expected in a sense, because the Germans drive like total lunatics. I will never again drive a car in this country. I know what I'm talking about, I do motorsports for over 30 years. This includes rally and stock car racing, so I'm certainly not a wimp. but driving in Germany is certain death. It's a mystery to me how there are still people alive in Germany.

Anyway, I checked the howmanyleft website again, and this time, there were three left.
So I abandoned the idea of having another 405 GTX 2.0 automatic ever again. I looked at a 406, but don't like it. The 405 is simply better.

Imagine my surprise, when another 405 GTX 2.0 automatic estate was for sale, and not far from where I live! I bought it on the spot:

One of three!

Look:

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/v [...] 5_gtx_auto
Last edited by Junkman on 23 Jul 2016, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 auto estate
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD estate
bxzx16v

Re: The story of a man and his Peugeot 405s

Unread post by bxzx16v »

That looks a very nice example you have there , great car the 405 I had an Mi16 many moons ago and it was one of the best riding cars I have been in ( Citroens included :wink: [-X )

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Junkman

Unread post by Junkman »

Hey, thanks!

I gotta take some fresh pictures.
Meanwhile the car is thoroughly cleaned. It's at the family painter's at the moment to get the damage around the door lock and a few other odds and ends sorted. I also had four new tyres fitted last Saturday.

As soon as it is back from the body shop, I'll do a photo session.
bxzx16v

Unread post by bxzx16v »

I look forward to more pics .

Mark
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Ahh wonderful :-D

I'm a great fan of 405s. I had two over the course of several years before I got involved with Citroens...

My first was a early GRD and the next one a late GLX TD. Loved them both to bits and they remain one of my very favourite cars and along with the 205 (which I've also had a few, GTi included) I consider them Peugeot's finest cars of all. Nothing has quite hit the same high...

At risk of wheeling out an old cliché, they still take my breath away...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantianut

Unread post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

Having worked on the odd 405, they had the same suspension arms as the BX but with steel springs, so handled very well indeed. And rode smoothly.

I was tempted by a 406 meself when looking for this Xantia but it was sold before I made my mind up.
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
Junkman

Unread post by Junkman »

I'd take a Xanthippe over a 406 any day. As mentioned above, I was looking at one and all they did is add fat, reduce roominess and visibility, and optimize the design towards quicker depreciation. Also, the 405 is the last generation of cars I can still identifiy where the engine is.

Mine needs new brakes, front and rear, as it turned out when the tyres got changed last Saturday. Why is it that I never run out of work to do?
Citroenmad

Unread post by Citroenmad »

You have been through a few nice 405s there, real shame about the white one :shock: Not exactly what you want to happen while your in another country either.

Your latest one looks good 8-)

I dont see many 405s around now, I was thinking that earlier as I was following a fairly tidy green 405 estate.

We used to get a 405 estate in for servicing years back which had spheres on the rear, must have been a range topping one or possibly a 4x4? Very good cars.

To add another cliché to this thread - 'they don't make them like they used to!' :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Junkman

Unread post by Junkman »

Citroenmad wrote:You have been through a few nice 405s there, real shame about the white one :shock: Not exactly what you want to happen while your in another country either.

Your latest one looks good 8-)

I dont see many 405s around now, I was thinking that earlier as I was following a fairly tidy green 405 estate.

We used to get a 405 estate in for servicing years back which had spheres on the rear, must have been a range topping one or possibly a 4x4? Very good cars.

To add another cliché to this thread - 'they don't make them like they used to!' :lol:
You got that s**t right. 'they don't make them like they used to!'
What happended to the white one is a crying shame. Sad to say, that six people got injured in the incident.
Ending up with no car 1000 miles from home is an ordeal I wouldn't wish my enemies (actually, I do, but let's presume I don't).
I had to continue the trip with a hire car, which was a Renault Clio Sports Tourer. I don't know what's worse. An accident like I had with my 405, or 1000 miles in that s**t box. In hindsight, I think I prefer having an accident in a 405.
spider

Unread post by spider »

They are still a good car if you get a good one, the auto trans is very reliable on these too in most cases. It does not have any electronic program control and sometimes seems to want to shift a bit late but otherwise its very nice.

The only concern I know about with the 8v petrol XU is its habit of snapping head bolts off flush in the block, which is very upsetting and annoying as what would of been a headgasket turns into something a lot more serious. The cause may be coolant around the bolts or lack of grease from a previous gasket change, I do not know for sure which.

The only 'concern' with a saloon is the rear seats do not fold (I know about the ski flap) compared to a 406 which is a bit annoying if wanting to carry long loads.

There are a few R plate (yes really) estate / break's about, most are just badged LX (in actuality P and R plate models are GLX's) , GTX has the velour greyish trim and GLX's have that lovely dark but patterned material.

I can remember the first clutch I was given to do was an L or M plate 405TD with A/C it was a right pain it took me about five maybe six hours given all the stuff in the way :D , I think they were being mean giving me that as a 'starter' job.

Around 1997/1998 I did look at one a 91 or 92 1.9SRi but it had some running problems evident and was too much money at the time, I do remember it well as it was almost like new even though it was a few years old.

I did find the rear spoiler on the later saloon models (only on sport up till about 95 then on all of them I think, well most) was actually useful to aid parallel parking in tight spaces.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Junkman

Unread post by Junkman »

So far all of my 405s were GTXes. All of them were 2.0s and all of them were automatics, which in itself is remarkable since the combination is obviously very rare.
Also, both of my estates had/have chromed roof rails. I have never seen another one with them. All others I've seen were black.

I would like to know what comprised the GTX package, as opposed to LX, GLX, etc.

The red estate is very good indeed. In fact, it is so good that it is currently at the body shop for a few cosmetic repairs to make it pristine.
I'll post new pictures when it's done.
bxzx16v

Unread post by bxzx16v »

I look forward to some more shiny pics of your 405 :shock:

Mark
spider

Unread post by spider »

Junkman wrote:So far all of my 405s were GTXes. All of them were 2.0s and all of them were automatics, which in itself is remarkable since the combination is obviously very rare.
Also, both of my estates had/have chromed roof rails. I have never seen another one with them. All others I've seen were black.

I would like to know what comprised the GTX package, as opposed to LX, GLX, etc.

The red estate is very good indeed. In fact, it is so good that it is currently at the body shop for a few cosmetic repairs to make it pristine.
I'll post new pictures when it's done.
I would say the later GTX (the last models so L/M/N plate etc) about 25% of them I saw were auto's if they were petrol but I bet I only saw say a dozen in ten years...

Regarding differences etc, I seem to think the following bearing in mind I'm going from memory and I'm on about the last models really:

GTX had ABS as standard, was optional on GLX
GTX had SR and AC, GLX had AC but no roof (unsure about this, the more I think the more I think they had both too)
GTX had electric rear windows, front only on GLX
GTX had alloy wheels as standard, optional on GLX
GTX had rear headrests, front only on GLX
GTX had (maybe?) door lights, the ones in the door bottoms to avoid stepping into a puddle, unsure of the correct name, GLX did not. This might of been Exec only fitment though.

I'll try to remember more but it was quite a while now. :)
Andy.

Junkman

Unread post by Junkman »

That's already quite comprehensive, thanks for that!

However, not one of my GTXes had/has ABS. Unfortunately, they do have driver's side airbag though.
They don't have the illumination for your wet, muddy shoes either and only the saloon had a sunroof.

The rest seems correct, all of them had/have AC, electric windows all round, alloy wheels, and rear headrests.
They all had/have electric mirrors too, I wonder if they are part of the GTX package.

I need to scout for original sales brochures...

If this red one doesn't get crashed, it may well ripen to being a classic car in my ownership.
I can't see a single reason for not driving it over the next three decades, honestly.
spider

Unread post by spider »

You're very welcome. :) Ah yes, electric mirrors were a GTX only thing as standard probably an extra on the GLX.

Sunroofs, possibly optional on the estate models then.

A slightly later one may have standard ABS, I was sure they all did but obviously not. :)

I've worked from memory nothing more. I don't know if that's a good or bad sign :oops: :P , it was worse I could tell you what model of 306 (and in some cases a rough year) was by its seat trim at one stage.
Andy.