2002 Citroen C5 blower fan problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rickbas

2002 Citroen C5 blower fan problems

Post by rickbas »

Hello
I think my problem is quite common - 2002 citroen c5 -blower fan isn't working. When I switch the ignition on the fan display lights up for a few seconds but then switches off indicating that no blades are working - some heat does still come through the vents so I'm assuming its just the fan motor thats broken. What part am Ilooking for is it the module resistor (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221116824347? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or do I need to replace the whole unit? Lastly, where is this part located? i've read its either next to the pedals behind the trim or behind the glovebox near the rest of the fuses? is it easy to replace?
thanks a lot Rick
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 2002 Citroen C5 blower fan problems

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know if this is the same as the XM one as mine hasn't given any trouble, if it is the usual problem is failure of the regulator transistors which are housed in the motor assembly, if you are handy with a soldering iron they are not to difficult to change, otherwise a secondhand unit would be the next best option. Check the fuse first though, they had a habit of melting on the XM.

Peter
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

Thatsthe same symptoms I had with my fan and a new part as seen in your eBay link soon sorted it. Mine was down by the pedals a pain to remove the screws but apart from that it was just plug and play
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
rickbas

Post by rickbas »

Thanks for the replies.. bought the resistor for £20 from ebay and fit it in about 30 mins - job done. Thought it was going to cost me loads.. well chuffed!
bulldogbill
New User
My Cars: C5 Hatch 2.0 HDI Auto

Post by bulldogbill »

Hi, I picked up on this thread whilst investigation the non-operation of my C5 air con. The symptoms (Air-con display shows fan blades lit but nothing is happening, then fan blades go blank and still nothing happens). I replaced the part you specified and this did not fix it. Where should I look next. Please note that whilst replacing the sensor unit I noticed that although the unit had green plug receptors in it the harness did not have the green plugs shown in your diagrams. Each wire had a slide clip on it, they seem to have been professionally fitted, but these were just pushed on to the blades of the receptor. Is this a portent of some other problem?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It sounds as though this was a repair to solve what my Mk1 C5 first suffered from.

I had exactly the symptoms that are described here but when I pulled the plugs off the control unit I could se signs of overheating (charring of the plug itself and socket on the unit; the actual metal parts blackened and not very springy). I cleaned everything up, resoldered the connections to the circuit board and then this worked for another few years.

When it went again it was the actual control unit that had gone and I had to replace that. It was still working fine when I sold the car a few months ago.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GuzziG

Post by GuzziG »

Same issue on my 03 C5, fan blades illuminate on display for a few seconds and then disappear, no blower motor function. Fuses Ok so just replaced the blower controller [for auto AC]. Part was £20 overnighted from Amazon. I had no scorched/damaged wiring just failed unit [after 130k]. Only need to remove the steering column UJ cover to access, 2x M6 socket screws, takes 10 minutes. Job done many thanks.