Xantia Cooling System

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

Xantia Cooling System

Post by Malcolm »

My ’98 Xantia 1.9TD has a problem, I believe, with the cooling system. The temperature gauge rises to normal operating temp just under 80. Sometimes at this temperature or even prior to it, the cooling fan can kick in. Usually this can be accompanied by the warning light in the temp gauge and the STOP light illuminating.
Turning the heater to hot and fan to max for a minute usually sorts it out, or is it coincident? I’ve got enough water in and can get water out of the bleed valve. Am I missing something obvious to you guys?
We have taken the car on serious hill climbs where the temperature has risen higher and the lights not come on.
Also, the cooling fan regularly kicks in after 5 minutes switched off, and this happens at cool times of the day.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Malcolm -
No matter what the problem actually might be - have it digged into ASAP.
It's well known that cooling problems are the most sure killers to the PSA type XU diesel engines (like yours).
Alarming indications are the short time engine temp warning light - and the fact that imposing extra cooling by turning up the heat - helps on the problem.
A common problem is airlocks - which MAY be indicated by the seemingly normal temp gauge readings.
Another common problem may be a partial restricted/clogged radiator - preventing normal coolant flow. Flushing or even replacing the radiator may be the terminal solution.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Very unlikely to be anything to do with the running of the engine, extremely likely to be a contact fault in on of the cooling system or aircon eletrical connectors.
Start by cleaning the contacts in the bitron sensor and its plug in the thermostat housing, its the brown one to the right of the fuel filter viewed from the front of the car, scrape them with fine emery or pinch your wifes nail file to get the deed done.
Another place to check is the connector on the bitron control unit, pre-face lift it is under the near side headlamp and its a desperate job getting at it but I believe it was moved from this location later on.
Check out this thread for a bit more on the subject.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3642
Dave
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks guys. I thought I'd seen something a good while ago about this but didn't have the problem at the time. It doesn't happen every time the car's out, infact just been to S of F 2000 miles without any lights.