Citroen C5 Mk1 - Speedo & Tachometer intermittent fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Longyear
My Cars: (15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS

Citroen C5 Mk1 - Speedo & Tachometer intermittent fault

Post by Longyear »

Hi all,

Today my 52 reg C5's Speedo and Tachometer both went off completely while driving. I pulled in to a parking bay and turned off the car, locked it, opened it, restarted it, and the Speedo & Revometer started working normally again.

I don't know if this was a total one off, or if it's going to be a repeating, intermittent fault.

Someone has suggested that this can occur in these cars, if the main car battery charge is running low. The car had not been used for 2 days, and when I started it, the starter motor did sound a little slow (although the car started no problem at all).

Could it be worth me sticking the battery on a trickle charge overnight, when I get home? .......... Does it even sound likely to you guys that battery charge level and the speedo/tachometer going off are related? #-o

Can anyone offer and clues on this fault, and hopefully and easy fix!? :-D

Many thanks.
David.
(15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: Citroen C5 Mk1 - Speedo & Tachometer intermittent fault

Post by SaabC5 »

Battery is often the cause of screwy instrument readings. I know on Saabs the speedo and rev counter dropping to zero is normally a faulty ABS unit, the readings are taken from it.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd get the battery tested if possible. Will soon be winter anyway so weak batteries will be on their way out (reminds me I must grab one too)

A low voltage can play havoc with multiplexed cars and the instrument panel in particular seems to display such oddities, perhaps because its always so visible.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Longyear
My Cars: (15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS

Post by Longyear »

Thanks guys. I recharged the battery fully, and have had no repeats of the speedo/tachometer going off, despite doing 4 x 40miles runs over the weekend. :)
David.
(15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS