xantia hdi cooling fan relays

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

xantia hdi cooling fan relays

Post by allanmc »

Hi , can someone tell me how to check these relays,
Thanks

Allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: xantia hdi cooling fan relays

Post by citroenxm »

Hi Allan,

The relays are situated in a triangular shaped box between the fans, you need to remove the Trim cover over the fans under the bonnet, then there between them is a black box at the top... However, useually its not actually the relays, but corroded wires even broken wires due to corrosion behind the relays. Wiring is rather tight behind there, and its a real fiddle, the relays them selfs are quite reliable I have found.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for getting back to me about the relays I should have explained a wee bit more I had my Lexia connected to find a problem relating to the cooling fans on fast speed the offside fan wasnt running when I then went to slow speed there was a ticking sound from the relays, thats when I removed each relay one at a time the top 2 were clean but the spades on the bottom one were dirty, so cleaned them and replaced the relay but it was just the same, so thats why I wanted to know how to test the relay, since then my Lexia has stopped working,but thats another story
allan
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

this page should explain it rather well as the peugeot setup and the citroen set up is pretty much the same

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

thanks for the diagram it will take me a bit of time to work it out I think

allan
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

the only diffrence between that site and the hdi xantia i believe is that on the hdi the ecu controls the fans not the (bitron) fan ecu

another thing to do is wire the fan that isnt working straight to the battery to test if it works or not, just to prove it works,

to test a relay (normal sort 4 pin relay) change it for a known working relay for example the front fog light relay to see if it works ( front fog relay is green one in bonnet fuse box on the right) or if the pins are numbered

-a standard bosch-style relay will have 4 or 5 numbered leads (30, 85, 86, 87, and sometimes 87a).
-30 = constant [positive (+)] power (usually wired directly to car battery)
-85 = coil ground (wired to the negative (-) battery terminal or any grounded metal panel in the car)
-86 = coil power (wired to the control source. could be a switch, or it could be the car's IGN or ACC circuit.)
-87 = switched [positive (+)] power output. (when the relay coil is powered, lead/pin 87 is connected to lead/pin 30)
-87a = [on 5 lead/pin relays only] this lead/pin is connected to lead/pin 30 when the coil is NOT powered.

on the french green relays they are numbered 1,2,3,4,5 i believe, i'll go to the car in a minute and have a look what they are in regards to the other numbers above

so to test wether its switching put power and earth onto pins 85 and 86 and you should feel or hear it click in your hand

hope that helps
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

ok french green relays such as on xantia

1 is 85
2 is 86
3 is 30
4 must be 87 a ( havent got it on the 4 pin relay in my hand)
5 is 87

hope that helps
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

That should be easier for me to follow I will have a look tomorrow thanks
allan
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

An update had a look at the car today and when I switch the heater control to defrost and the temp. to max the 2 fans run fast, if my Lexia was working I could try it on slow speed but I cant, when I checked the relays in the engine compartment they were a different number to the cooling fan ones so was unsure what to do next
allan
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

ok setting the heater to windowscreen turns the fans on cause it turns the aircon on, if you turn the air con on they should cone on at half speen then really rev up when the engine temp gets high or when the pressure switch in the ac tells them to go into high,

i dont really know what to suggust with out a lexia, whats wrong wth your lexia is if software issues like mine or the other bit thats gone wrong,
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Hi, I will have to get back to the tomorrow now that youve told me how to get the fans to run at half spead,
the problem with the Lexia is when I plug it in the green light on the unit flashes and a message comes on the screen

Warning.

The Lexia office cannot be started for the following reasons

The Citroen communications interface is not connected to the USB port of your PC.

The Citroen communications interface is being used by another application.

There ror the Citroen communication interface must be connected to the PCand the other application must be closed.

Validate to continue.
I contacted DickieG who ordered them and he said he was having the same problem as me and he was going to contact the supplier and as far as I can tell there was a 12 Month Warranty with them so I am waiting for him to get back to me
allan