Insurance pricing concerns

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Insurance pricing concerns

Post by spider »

Just sat here after falling over from viewing my renew premium for the 106.

As far as I can tell (bear in mind I changed cars mid-year) the premium has increased by about 15% to 20% give or take a bit which is a substantial chunk of money.

I tried another companies online quote out of interest and that came out over £600 (I forget the actual figure now it was about 640 or so) interestingly it was *more* for dropping it to TPFT from said company and there was a compulsory 350 excess too.

I guess I'll have to try one of the comparison sites, I do not see how the increase can be justified even with the banking mess comparing the prices:

Estimated premiums as I do not have the data to hand, merely previous bank details as it was instalments and one instalment is a little bit more than the others:

About £490 for a 2001 1600 Astra , obviously this was last year. And no, I'm not having another one :(
About £680 for a 2002 1500 106D

Both are TPFT.

In terms of size and power the Astra was obviously a lot more.

Trying to decide if the cause is:

1. Young drivers would have a 106 so perhaps insurance companies rate them higher
2. The Astra was an auto although I do not think this would effect things that much
3. Insurance has just rocketed this year anyway
4. Cost of repairs is higher on PSA although I cannot really see that on a 106 that much, lets face it they would write it off at the slightest hint these days.

This is with a full no claims too, no fault accidents in 20 years and the last one (non fault) was about eight years ago where someone drove over the rear quarter of my car when it was parked up (similar to the recent car park fiasco actually but it was proper damaged back then)

:( Hmm.

Might have to see how much a good 205 is ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Insurance pricing concerns

Post by Xaccers »

106 would be much higher due to them being popular with young lads who then crash them.
Astras while also driven by complete jerks (wannabe Vectra drivers, who themselves are wannabe BMW repmobile drivers), they are also driven by families which reduces the likelihood of them being driven like a loony.
I've always found fully comp to be cheaper than TPFT.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks. Although my age should exclude me from being some kind of "boy racer"

I just picked the Astra out simply as I still had some vague data about it rather than anything else. It had more rust than the 205 or the 106, come to think about it the 205 had less rust than the 106 :D

For reference here's the TPFT quote minus personal data as this is a public forum although the fully comp one was slightly less. Adding voluntary excess did not lower it more than a few £ either.

:o :shock: :o :shock: :?

Starting to wonder if it would actually be much more (less?) with something like a 406 now...

I think I'm just in a bit of shock about the premium.
Andy.

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Your age makes a bit of a difference, but a high risk car will always carry a high premium.
If memory serves, from a Top Gear eposide back when they were interesting, the Punto was cheap because it wasn't a "boy racer" target, and the Seat Ibiza was cheaper than the Polo it was identical to.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I cant see the lower quote as the image is blocked for me, but ~£600 in the first post - that seems a lot Andy..

I am paying 400 for the C5 (or Xant) with only a few years NCB and a couple of shunts ...
38 y/o

postcode issues?
spider

Post by spider »

The image price is £722, same age as you. No shunts, last one was non fault (was not in the car) many years ago. Clean licence etc.

Could be a postcode concern and it is on the road overnight. Hmm. I 107 varies too although its around 450 to 700.

As an off topic note about 15 years ago I had a '88 Cavalier SRi, they increased the premium (TPFT) as I did not have an additional immobiliser fitted to it (given their high theft rate!) however dropping to just TP only cover did not lose this "increase" and when asked about it they said that "increase" would apply even though they sort of agreed on the phone it was not relevant. I remember changing companies which rectified it. :)
Andy.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Would have to be for you, John - you're modestly rural.

An interesting comment from one of my insurers, was that if you had an at-fault claim, they only put up the premium on the vehicle you did the damage with! Can't figure that one out; must be actuaries at work. I was gobsmacked, but wasn't going to argue the toss.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I believe the car carries the risk, hence why when i passed my test i got a grandad car (BXDTR) as it was 1/3 the cost of a 1.6 BMW but with similar performane, the never got a bx in a tree though but BMW's are high risk as they are stealable, crashable etc.

Of course driver risk, history, the area the car spends most of its time parked are big faactors.

Shop around, i got the activa insured limited miles to 7k, mods, im 29 with perfect history and that set me back £600 fully comp with admiral.

I think your trouble is your effectivly insuring a saxo vtr, a small chav wagon (no offence intended) with a near 1.6 engine.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

My insurance renewla went up by £200 this year from last year. I really don't understand this either as I was then over 25 and usually it gets cheaper, not for me!

Fully comp is usually always cheaper than TPFT now.

Shop around, use the compare websites and get your company to price match if you are happy to stick with them.

A 106 should not be too much to insure, yes they are popular with young drivers but surely the quote should be mainly based upon the car itself and your track record, local area, etc.

I wish I could insure my Activa for less than £120! You could have 7 Activas insured and still beat my quote :lol:
Last edited by Citroenmad on 17 Sep 2012, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

superloopy wrote:My quote for Activa, 4yrs NCD, 6k per annum, £116.92 from Saga ... so age definitely matters, I'm that old now that I fall within Saga's radar, not too bad a quote though. Renewal from Aviva was £188 :o

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Saga always quote me astronomical prices and never send the free pen they get so excited about.

I went through M&S this year at half the cost of the next one up. £347 which includes my youngest son as second driver.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Comprehensive insurance seems to be considerably cheaper than TPF&T, which is cheaper than TPO, for me at least. It's definitely worth checking out the comparison sites, hateful as their adverts are, it's incredible how much difference there can be between companies. I'm with M&S too. Not quite the cheapest but they didn't ask too many questions when I changed to an LPG car so I stuck with them at renewal time.

Somebody I used to know on another forum claimed he once gave a £400000 quote when he worked in the AA's call centre.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
spider

Post by spider »

Its not a lot cheaper elsewhere unfortunately which is a concern if its the car model itself causing the problem. I'll have to pay and cry about it I suppose.

Unless the insurance companies know about the economy and want to take the fuel monies saved :P
Andy.

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

there is one way to find out, im 29 with perfect driver history, i got a quote for that 106 zest2 derv doing 12k miles a year parked on the road, s,d & commuting, fully comp paying monthly and the cheapest i had was from Allianz for £280 a year with windscreen, legal cover and £450 excess.
The most expensive was more than, £1148 a year with £420 excess, just goes to show shopping around makes a massive .
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, this is worrying me slightly...

It is unbelievable that a 106 should be so heavily loaded when in the hands of a mature driver. Load up a Chav by all means but to extend that onward to an older and more responsible driver is tantamount to fraud in my opinion. Our insurance cartel is so overdue for a good old shake-up...

My renewal is up in November. I have currently five cars on my Admiral policy and two drivers under twenty... I just hate to even guess at the sum...

Already I've been shocked by the fact that until renewal Siany cost a further £80 upon passing her test and the dear old XM is considered a modified car because of the LPG and therefore costs more to insure than the V6 at the moment :evil:

In an attempt to mitigate the cost somewhat I'm going to look into classic insurance for the XM and Robyn promises she's going to give up driving for the duration of her second year at Uni...

I can't help thinking that next month I'm going to be spending some time working out the best deal for me... Not something I'm looking forward to. Just to add to the pain I may well have to declare my health and knowing the grabbing buggers that'll put the cost up as well :evil:

I can see one car at least going on SORN...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

I know what you mean.

Out of curiosity I checked to see how much an '02 406 V6 with manual transmission would be and it was £774 (different company but the 106 I could not get a great deal less)

The very cheapest price I can find for the 106 is £569 and that's scraping the barrel with large excesses I think. Interestingly the old 205TD was only a shade more...
Andy.