ecu on old td engines

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

ecu on old td engines

Post by jacksun1987 »

Would my 95 n reg 1:9 td have a ecu. Looked on ebay found 2.1 ecus. say if it did have one. COuld i fixed it on and what would happern if i did ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: ecu on old td engines

Post by CitroJim »

No, a '95 1.9 TD will have a fully mechanical VP20 pump and no ECU.

The later 1.9TDs did have an ECU to control the timing on the later AS3 pump.

The 2.1TD will have an ECU controlled Lucas EPIC pump.

The ECUs are totally and utterly incompatible and cannot under any circumstance be interchanged.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I can only add that as Jim has said you cannot swap these ECU's between a 1.9 and a 2.1

A later ECU controlled 1.9 pump will go on an earlier engine but there will be nowhere to wire it to, and it will run fully advanced at a guess which is not good news.

If you are looking for a non-ECU 1.9 pump do not overlook later 405's (not 406's all 406's with the 1.9 had an electronic ECU) and pre T plate 306's had a conventional mechanical advance pump too.

I think if we knew what the problem / concern was we could direct you to a solution. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

jacksun1987 wrote:Would my 95 n reg 1:9 td have a ecu. Looked on ebay found 2.1 ecus. say if it did have one. COuld i fixed it on and what would happern if i did ?
You would have a useless box of plastic bits in your engine bay :-D
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Just love an idea of a 2.1 td in m car lol
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jacksun1987 wrote:Just love an idea of a 2.1 td in m car lol
I wouldn't. Having owned a 2.1TD, they may have more power but they have a lot less oomph.
Can't run on veg either and with normal diesel around £1.44/L around here that's over 50ppl more than what I pay or veg!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Doubt anyone will believe me if I mention the fact my epic ran on 60-80% veg (used) totally reliably (once air leaks were eradicated) frequently at high speed over long distances. For quite a few thousand miles. Having sold the car to someone who prefers to pay for fuel, several years and a few tens of thousand miles later (up near 150k), it continues to run without any problems.

I was aware of the design of Lucas pumps and so when starting from cold I allowed the engine to warm through a little before setting off, never using too many revs before things were up to temp. Additionally there was an efficeint coolant-to-fuel flat-plate heat exchanger to thin the oil. There are one or two long-term vegoildiesel forum members who have run Lucas pumps on high vegoil percentages, single tanked, for tens of thousands of miles without problem.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."