Xantia Series 2 Blower fan and AC problem solved.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xantia Series 2 Blower fan and AC problem solved.

Post by rory_perrett »

The blower fan on the Xantia seems to be a frequent and constant topic on the forum. A thought I would add my experiences of a recent fan failure.

Symptoms –
Blower fan went to full speed for a few seconds then stopped working. The green light on the air conditioning switch went out and there was no warm air.

Investigation –
Starting with the blower motor, there was no power to it. Going back to the blower fan relay (green relay positioned above the accelerator pedal), there was continuity to the blower motor from terminal 5 and 12 volts supply to terminal 3. This led me to conclude that the relay was not switching. Testing the relay with a separate 12 volt supply showed that it was working and when energised there was continuity between terminals 3 and 5.
Next I looked at the supply to terminal 1 of the relay (power to energise the relay). This was showing 4 volts rather than 12 volts. The power feed to the blower fan relay comes from Fuse 5. Fuse 5 had not blown and there was 12 volts at the fuse.

Conclusion –
There was a continuity or high resistance problem between fuse F5 and the blower relay. I put a second wire in parallel with the original which gave 12 volts to the relay.

Result –
Fan, air conditioning and heating all working again – not sure why but that’s modern(ish) car electrics for you.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Series 2 Blower fan and AC problem solved.

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Rory :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

No A/C system will work if the blower motor stops.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Intermittent operation followed by apparent failure of the aircon can be caused by a poor connection on the connector under the aircon pump, a quick and relatively easy place to check once the front of the engine under tray is moved.

Easier than accessing the blower and all its connections and knowing what I know now would be the first check.

Andy.
If it can happen it will.