Chipping/re-mapping - what's it all about?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Chipping/re-mapping - what's it all about?

Post by Napoleon »

I mean, I think I have a rough idea - 'improving' the performance of a car by fiddling about with the electronics.

But beyond that, I don't know the first thing. Can I do this to the C5 III 2.2 173 diesel? Is it a garage job? What costs might be involved?

I don't want to go at max speed, but now I've tasted a bit of oooomph, I wouldn't mind a bit more!

Cheers, you chipping experts!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Jabo
My Cars:

Re: Chipping/re-mapping - what's it all about?

Post by Jabo »

Remapping is changing the software in the car's ECU that controls fuelling and ignition.
Alterations to how much fuel is squirted in and when; along with when that fuel is ignited will produce different levels and styles of torque and power.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

ok, thanks.

Now, when I had Windows 3.1 and so on (forgotten what versions there were now! oh yes, '95 etc.), I used to go into the guts of the computer and change stuff, I mean, like the Windows logo etc. Stuff that ordinary folk wouldn't dream of touching, or even need to. (It was in the Registry wasn't it? I used TweakUI IIRC) But it was a way of getting to grips with the OS and really understanding what Bill Gates and nis mates had built.

Not so easy now with this Mac etc, but on a car, unlike on an old pc with '95, is it the case that you could do some irreparable harm? On a computer, if I screwed it up, I could re-boot etc etc and still have a pristine computer.

What are the risks with doing this mapping/chipping thing with a car?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

You probably won't be able to figure out how to modify the ECU's maps yourself, it takes some proper hacking to do so. Every ECU stores its maps in different locations and every map looks different.
Saying that, if you did manage to dump your ECU through an OBD cable or a chip programmer and made modifications without proper research you could always restore the original software if you made a backup or you could take it to a professional who can restore it to factory defaults.

My recommendation is don't try it. You need to read a few (many) books and have a car that you don't care about to use for testing before you should attempt to modify maps on your current car.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

That's good enough for me!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Longyear
My Cars: (15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS

Post by Longyear »

Jabo wrote:Remapping is changing the software in the car's ECU that controls fuelling and ignition.
....and most significantly in a turbocharged car; boost pressure.

I've had my last 7 cars remapped and when funds allowed will be getting my C5 2.2HDi remapped too as part of the DPF delete. :)
David.
(15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

you can get some software that allows you to tweak the way the engine runs but its by far an easy task! one of our guys did so on his 16v when he put bike carbs on it, got a basic map okay but tweaks took forever as it needed a lot of onroad testing!
most Decent remappers will have a stock remap for the cars that will give certain improvements (more notably Torque on a Deisel) and they will then run it on a Rolling road to check for spikes, (Kitch who pops on here every now and then - white picasso hdi and also owner of a couple of 16v's had a Superchip style chip for his that had a Horrific dip in the map to allow for MOT passes but general consensus was it Would be detremental to the health of the engine!!) and the good ones will also do a real world road test with the Mapper on the laptop in the passenger seat whilst being driven around,

Van aitken and Derv doctor were always the Trusted places to go,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Usually a remapping company will remove the data from your cars ECU and store it, they will then use this data to build a remap for your car. This is what the local to me place does. They did a VW of ours and the performance and low down torque increase was superb, not only that but the engine ran smoother and smoked less. Economy increased too, it would often return over 40MPG, that from a 2.5TDi automatic in a VW Caravelle.

I keep considering a remap for my current C5, which should see it t something like 170-180bhp and an increase in torque. This really is something I'm looking forward to having done and now I think about it I am surprised I have not had it done yet :lol: No doubt my MPG will only improve too, if I dont use the extra performance too often :twisted:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

would definately like something done with my 110 Hdi.. just more torque really, as it's not an engine that seems to want to be revved.. and i do tow sometimes

:)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Paul (citroenxm) has good experiences with his chipped 110HDi.