Berlingo Multispace tailgate won't open (MK2, 2004)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Berlingo Multispace tailgate won't open (MK2, 2004)

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hi all,

2004 Multispace HDi. Tailgate firmly shut. Sounds like it is unlocking and locking with the remote and key. Just won't open. Handle "feels" connected, but that's all I can tell you.

Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone know how to fix it or at least get the back door open so I can have a look? Obviously I can get into the boot by moving the rear seats, but not convenient for a pram.

Having had a look in the boot, there doesn't even appear to be any screws to get the trim off the tailgate to get at the locks. Does it really just all pull off?

Any help, ideas, diagrams etc gratefully received.

Kind regards

mike
ace333

Re: Berlingo Multispace tailgate won't open (MK2, 2004)

Post by ace333 »

Hi,
Well, Northern_Mike, I assume you've sorted this as it has been a year since your post!
I came across this as I too have a boot door that won't open on 2004 Berlingo Multispace and was looking for tips.

Well, it sometimes still opens (when it feels like it) and so I have removed the entire plastic panel inside the tailgate (yes, it just pulled straight off, held in place by about dozen plastic clips around the edges and across middle) and found the arrangement of mechanisms inside door (funnily enough the foam plastic type sheet which should have been across the area was already ripped open - I have had car since new so am puzzled as to why that is the case!?)

See picture of internal mechanisms in door panel positioned just behind/below external boot door handle - link here http://thebuzzness.co.uk/berlingo/boot1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (couldn't get file upload to work)

So it seems "lever" A turns down as handle is pulled on the outside. When boot is unlocked, "pushrod" B (or whatever it's called) is positioned underneath end of A and is pushed down and from there the boot catch is released and tailgate opens. When boot is locked, B is positioned slightly further across, out of way of A, and when A comes down (as external handle is pulled) it misses top of B and passes by its side.

Of course something has gone wrong and most of the time now when boot is unlocked, B is in the wrong place, and A misses it and so boot does not open.

So, is this same problem you had, Northern_Mike?
Is there (anyone?) something, some piece, missing from photo? (Why does A have slot in end?)
So, why is B no longer being positioned correctly under A when boot is unlocked?
Any ideas from anyone appreciated.

(By the way, this is all under central locking operation - unlocking/locking boot directly with key has not worked for years! just won't turn)

Hopefully someone (Northern_Mike?) might have some ideas on this.

Thanks,
Andy
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hello Andy,

this is exactly the same problem that I had. I also got at the mechanism in exactly the same way.

Buying a new mechanism looks to be the best way of sorting it, but I managed to sort it using a bit of bodgery.

I put a small nut and bolt through the gap on Lever A, cut down to size with a dremel with a piece of fuel pipe over it, so it looks like a rubber "stub". A bit of fiddling had it in the right position to contact lever B when the handle is pulled, and to be far enough out of the way so that when it's locked, it doesn't contact. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow to show you what I mean. I was going to buy a new lock mechanism, they're not expensive, I just never got round to it.
ace333

Post by ace333 »

Hi Mike,
That was quick!
Getting a photo would be great, thanks.
And your fix has worked without problem since you did it?
(when you say the mechanism is not expensive - how much are we talking?)
Andy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The 'A' bit is £28.70 - the B bit (which looks a lot less complex, but includes the outer handle, which needs to be painted) is £64.16 :? Citroen random number generator has been at it again!!
Richard W
ace333

Post by ace333 »

Thanks for prices RW - another £100 ! looks like the cheap self-fix attempt is the way to go then!

But, what I still don't really understand, is why or what has actually gone wrong or broken or ...? in the bits shown in picture (http://thebuzzness.co.uk/berlingo/boot1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) ??? What would be different if (theoretically, as that's not my plan) the new parts were put in?

Andy
Aine
New User
My Cars: Citroen berlingo multispace 2006
2cv with cloth roof strpey.

Post by Aine »

Hi anyone in the thread. I am having the same problem but the images have disappeared. If by some miracle you have them still, can you post them in the reply. Also if anyone has any ideas on the whole door locks not working thing I'd be greatfull for any advice. Thanks