steering groan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neil

steering groan

Post by neil »

At low revs, and on quick turns (ie quick turns of the steering wheel), I am getting a groaning sound from the rack on my 96 1.9td eatate. It seems to be under the passenger footwell. Steering seems unaffected, performancewise. On another matter, thanks to all who have been discussing rear suspension adjustment a few weeks back. Got my magic carpet back after changing height corrector and adjusting settings. Smooooooooth.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

My zx 1.4 also makes a groaning noise on quick turns in car parks for example. And wondering what causes it aswell.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Possibly a ball joint thats dried out but I think its more likely to be the rack itself, the support bearing itself having worn.
As both racks (Xantia and ZX have external rams it may be possible to get some grease into the end of the rack and lubricate the support bushes. Try peeling the gaiter off, turn the car to right lock to extend the rack on the left side of the car and have a good look. If its dry, grease it and put the boot back on.
Jeremy<font size="1"></font id="size1"><font size="1"></font id="size1"><font size="1"></font id="size1">