Turbo whistle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philjw
My Cars:

Turbo whistle

Post by Philjw »

Hi all,
130K miles in and I can hear a whistle from the turbo on the C5.
Does this mean trouble ahead? What should I be checking?
I could convince myself that the power is not being delivered smoothly at a constant throttle setting There seems to be a slight pulsing.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Turbo whistle

Post by Peter.N. »

If you can hear a whistle that only means the turbo is working, an excessive whistle could be caused by a leak in the pipework which could also reduce performance, check the hose connections on the turbo.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

If you have no leaks , and tbh, a leak doesn't usually whistle, it hisses. It is most likely that the Turbo impeller is out of balance. Over time, the turbo will likely get hit by tiny particles of dust, or worse, depending on how cleanly the filtration is maintained.
Years ago I had a low mileage 306 TD with a terrible whistle, after trying all else, we sent the turbo away, it looked like new, but the repairers balanced it, it was completely silent afterwards.
I would think it is unlikely after such mileage that you would get away with this , prob requires an overhaul, once removed.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My C5 turbo used to whistle loudly. But, since I've cleaned out some of the crud from the inlet manifold, the turbo is a lot quieter. It appeared to me that the clean manifold allows the engine to breath easier and so the turbo doesn't have to work so hard.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I fitted a after market exhaust to my 405 TD and it whistled quite loudly, the problem was traced to a poorly fitting joint. Surprisingly it wasn't noisy in the usual way.

Steve.
not applicable