ZX Fog light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FFX-DM
My Cars:

ZX Fog light

Post by FFX-DM »

Bummer! My Cit has just failed it's MOT on the fog light not working. The garage have got it at the moment, but if anybody has any idea about weaknesses in the circuit, places where it is prone to go, etc, I would be grateful.
My guess is that when I had the towbar fitted they fannied about with the electrics in that area and have done something weird to it.
Apart from that, clean bill of health...
er, but the clutch is not on the MOT and my beloved other half was doing his very best to burn mine out at the weekend (reversing caravan uphill with the brakes on) so I guess it's not long for this world. Any ideas what a usual price for a ZX.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced a fog light is an MOT failure point.
Do you mean front or rear?
If you want, I can find out but not until Monday when I get back to work. Surely the MOT checks obligatory lights. Front fogs are optional, not obligatory!
Jamie
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'm pretty sure that any external lights which are fitted must work to pass the MOT.
Unlike internal lights. Mine has passed with no instrument lighting at all, which I suppose could be considered dangerous!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

A rear fog light is obligatory, front ones are not, even if they are fitted at the front it doesn't matter if they don't work for the MOT.
First place to look for rear fog faults when towing sockets are fitted is in the socket its self, some have a cut out to switch the car fogs off when a trailer or van is being towed.
These cut out switches are a bit micky mouse and soon get grubby and stick open.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is this another case of the infamous citroen towing socket/foglight curse. Rear foglights definitely are a MOT failure point - towing sockets aren't. There seems to be a problem with the wiring of the plug - in towing lead and the quickest solution may be to find the plug-in lead and unplug it for the time being. In my BX estate its in the nearside rear light unit and eventually I had to jump the rear foglight using scotchlock connectors.
May be worth having a search of this site - its been covered several times.
jeremy
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Just FYI, the problem turned out to be a loose wire in the back of the fuse box, so £20 worth of electrician found and cured that. Ta for your help.