Berlingo electrical fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cris

Berlingo electrical fault

Post by Cris »

I have just fitted a new clutch kit into my 2005 Citroen Berlingo 1.8 diesel.
After reassembling and reconnection of electrical plugs I have found a problem.

The car starts normally and all the dashboard lights go out. However when I apply revs the battery light and the engine symbol light come on. The rev counter also drops to zero. On going back to tick-over, the lights go out and the rev counter returns to normal. Would appreciate any guidance and advice on what the fault may be.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Berlingo electrical fault

Post by spider »

Check the main fuses under the bonnet as a first step.

It almost sounds like you have an earthing fault too (the main earth leads from the battery, I think there's two but not 100% sure on these) although obvious check they are all there and you've not left one loose (it has been known) :)

If you have a double relay in the engine compartment, examine this too to ensure its plugged in properly, if I remember correctly on the later models the engine ECU controls the glowplug relay directly via itself and the temp sensor.

It could be something as simple as a BSI reset is needed if you did not let it go to sleep before disconnecting the battery.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Cris

Post by Cris »

Bonjour Spider,

Many thanks for the advice. We eventually discovered the TDC sensor which locates into the bellhousing. It must have been damaged when splitting the engine/gearbox. The cost here in France of the part was E48.56.

Kind regards,

Cris
Le Network Removal Services SARL
Brezilhac,Aude, SW France
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Ah that does make sense now, they do tend to die when doing transmission removal and sometimes they pack up when you thoughtfully remove it beforehand too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG