Radio wouldn't switch off......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster99

Radio wouldn't switch off......

Post by hamster99 »

....and nothing else on the onboard display either....frozen in time.

Never had this before.

There I was enjoying my drive home yesterday (as much as you can on the M25!) when I switched over from Radio 4 (highbrow) to Magic FM (very low brow but my era of music!!). Anyway, it was fine I thought but then I noticed that the clock on the display had frozen. Hmmm, oh well I thought, another great C5 "feature" which stops time...those clever french!

Then I wanted to switch over to check out the travel and tried to use the radio stalk...didn't change, then I tried pressing the button...didn't change. Then I tried to reduce the volume as it was a tad loud...didn't change. I tried every button I could think of on all the stalks, centre console, aircon...nothing worked, the display was still frozen and I couldn't turn the bloody sound off.

Arrived home 20 mins later and felt sure it would sort itself out when I switched off the car and restarted it. You guessed it...nothing happened. By this time I was drawing a small crowd of interested neighbours who wondered why I was sitting in the car with the radio blaring out Duran Duran rather loudly...fine if you're a teenager with your mates not a 40 something with no hair and a big mortgage.

Couldn't discover which fuse I had to pull to disconnect the radio (it's not listed in the rather sparse owners book) so had no option but to disconnect the battery. I know that's never a good thing to do on a C5 but I had no option as the battery would have run down sitting on the drive annoying the neighbours (beats house alarms I guess). Left it 20 mins, went out and let it reboot sensibly. So far everything seems back to normal.

Anyone have any clues how this may have happened or whether it is a problem other people have had and, if so, how did you resolve it.

That'll teach me to switch to Magic FM!!

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Radio wouldn't switch off......

Post by CitroJim »

hamster99 wrote: That'll teach me to switch to Magic FM!!
Just want I was going to say whilst reading this Rob :lol: :lol: :lol:

You clearly upset the R4-Gods and they have extracted a terrible revenge.

Is it all OK now with the battery reconnected?

Looks like the BSI just froze and suffered a sort of Blue Screen of Death. It would have been interesting to have seen if a Lexia could talk to it under the circumstance. Likely it couldn't have so in the end doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery was likely the only option open to you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Radio wouldn't switch off......

Post by Mandrake »

Oh dear, have the days of having to reboot your car have arrived already ? #-o :roll: :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive