mani-to-cat gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

mani-to-cat gasket

Post by john »

the wire mesh gasget and springs etc

when i got my berlingo if had gas leak from the mani-to-cat, having a look i noticed the one of the bolts was lose, tried to tighten it but couldn't, so got another kit fitted and all was fine - for a couple of weeks, its now leaking again! the nuts cant be tightened any more, what can i do? its driving me bonkers! :evil:
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: mani-to-cat gasket

Post by CitroJim »

Did they replace the 'brillo pad' gasket around the manifold spigot? Very important to do this as it compresses and also it needs to be installed with care. Also, the cups that sit in slots on the manifold flange need to be replaced too. These are a bugger as they're often rusted in but over time they deform and allow the bolts to protrude too far.

It's correct the nuts go so far and stop. The sequence of assembly is this: Manifold Flange Cup - Spring - 'Asbestos' Washer - Spring Cup - nut.

Lots of garages will short-circuit replacing the 'brillo pad' and manifold flange cups and hope for the best as it's a far from easy job...

No exhaust paste must be used around this joint whatsoever.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

thanks, should have stated that i replaced the whole lot, brillo, cups, springs, nuts and bolts.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

john wrote:thanks, should have stated that i replaced the whole lot, brillo, cups, springs, nuts and bolts.
Ahh right. Genuine or pattern parts?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

pattern.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Might be a good idea top try a genuine set. Some pattern exhaust stuff is of very questionable quality and utility...
Jim

john
My Cars:

Post by john »

ok, also noticed the cat is a "Walker", does this mean its been replaced and possibly making it more difficult to get a tight seal?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar