Xantia jerking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cc101

Xantia jerking

Post by cc101 »

Hi all, another question! I've a 1994 1.9 TD with a bosch pump, when I lift off the accelerator in say 3rd gear, the car kangaroos, it drives perfectly other than when u lift off the throttle.

Thanks again for all the help,

Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia jerking

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting one Chris. I've known it on a Lucas pump but never on a Bosch pump. I'm thinking...

Does the car start with ease and run well in other respects?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Is there a good old fashioned dash pot on the throttle that slows sudden throttle closing on the 1.9TD ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:Is there a good old fashioned dash pot on the throttle that slows sudden throttle closing on the 1.9TD ?
Yep, there is. Two in some cases. Good thinking Simon :-D

If your pump has what looks like a miniature black shock-absorber on the front of the pump with one end attached to the throttle lever then remove it, throw it in the bin and see if it's any better. There is also another damper at the back of the pump that does look more like a dashpot. This one though is essential as it executes the anti-stall function and without it the engine will stall on the over-run.

The black shock absorber I spoke of earlier can cause the problem and the car is better off without it. It was originally there as an emissions device to regulate throttle opening speed and therefore smoke emissions...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If theres a damper that is supposed to slow down closing (not opening) of the throttle, won't taking it out and throwing it away make it worse ? :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks guys, Jim the car starts good and runs very well, it does seem to do it more when warmed up. Will take a look at the pump Simon.

Thanks again.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:If theres a damper that is supposed to slow down closing (not opening) of the throttle, won't taking it out and throwing it away make it worse ? :)

No, the anti-stall damper is only operative near the very end of the throttle travel whereas the black one is operative both-ways over the whole travel. It is a hindrance rather than a help and throwing it away sharpens the throttle response into the bargain...
Jim

Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

That silly damper thing is the first thing I thought of when I read your symptoms it's probably getting a bit sticky, I have no idea why the damn thing was fitted to begin with. Well worth removing even if it isn't causing your trouble :-D

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

absolutely Alex :-D

Here's the reason as I posted earlier in the thread...
It was originally there as an emissions device to regulate throttle opening speed and therefore smoke emissions...
Jim

Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Which is odd because it seems to work more the other way, I only really noticed that the pedal took time to come back to zero. But anyhow it's very easy to remove.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: