Bleeding Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Bleeding Xantia

Post by Old-Guy »

Rear brakes that is, I seem to remember that the usual advice is to make sure the rear suspension is evenly loaded by jacking under the swing arm of the side being done?

Doing a pad-change, new disc, calliper/arm de-corrode, the thought occurred to me that with the suspension on High for convenience, both swing arms are down on the rebound stops (as far as they'll go) so won't there be full pressure on the rear brakes when i press the pedal?

YES! Bled each side before re-fitting the road wheel just by starting the engine. Last done less than 4 years (and 30,000 miles) ago, the brake lines were full of what looked like cheap olive oil! A bit murky to start with too.

After two afternoons kneeling/squatting and my legs are killing me! Must be getting old. :(
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Bleeding Xantia

Post by Xantidote »

Old-Guy wrote:After two afternoons kneeling/squatting and my legs are killing me!
If I'm doing work such as you've just done on the rear hubs etc, then I find the small plastic stool that my daughter used as a toddler to be very useful for sitting on- saves the knees :-D :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Bleeding Xantia

Post by citronut »

Xantidote wrote:
Old-Guy wrote:After two afternoons kneeling/squatting and my legs are killing me!
If I'm doing work such as you've just done on the rear hubs etc, then I find the small plastic stool that my daughter used as a toddler to be very useful for sitting on- saves the knees :-D :-D
you need a milking stall as you will be milking the XANT breaks :twisted: :roll: :wink:

i always just bleed the rear's with the suspension fully up on its highest setting, this way you dont need the weight of the car5 on its wheels
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years