C5 (current model) nightmare electronics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Superaquarama

C5 (current model) nightmare electronics

Post by Superaquarama »

I'm on the verge of selling our '09 C5 Exclusive Touring while it's still got 6 months' warranty left.

Whilst it's a superb car in many respects, particularly on long journeys, the electronics are a bit of a nightmare. The following problems occur:

a) Tailgate opens of its own accord when standing - on two occasions I've returned to it to find the tailgate wide open ! And several other times it's opened whilst I've been in or near the car.

b) It nearly always goes into 'sleep mode' within a couple of minutes of being switched off, meaning that 9 times out of 10 the tailgate won't open or close electrically and is thus very heavy. Although sometimes the thing works perfectly ok after a couple of days standing.

c) Electronic handbrake very unreliable, in fact the other day I got out with the engine running only to get clouted by the door as the car took off backwards having decided it didn't want to bother keeping the brake on ! Fortunately managed to leap back in and hit the footbrake before it built up much speed.

Anyone got any ideas before I give up and buy a non-electronic Xantia or W124 Merc Estate ?

Thanks
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5 (current model) nightmare electronics

Post by SaabC5 »

If its still under warranty give it back to Citroen to sort out. I suspect there's an issue with the BSI unit that controls the vast majority of electrickery.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Superaquarama

Post by Superaquarama »

Thanks - I may take it back to the dealer before finally deciding to sell. Quite tempted to get a Lexia but understand they're not very good on the current C5?
ihatecars
My Cars:

Post by ihatecars »

If I may, indeed if warranty is still valid, take the vehicle back to the dealer. I usually check the small print in the deal too, as dealers love to boast about "customer care" and "piece of mind" - now is the time to call promise in. You have every right to a proper working vehicle, that is what we pay dealers for.

I am interested in why vehicle electronics fail so, I'm sure they get designed and manufactured to a good standard.
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Having just agreed to buy an 09 plate Exclusive I am very alarmed to hear of your trouble.

I think they are a fantastic car and nice to drive - clearly electrics are not Citroen's strong point but to be failing like this soon - one being a safety issue - well both to be honest. I will be keeping an eye on the thread as to the response from the dealer and potential cost to you.

I hope this is a one-off and they sort things out for you. I know there aren't many around in the UK (one of the reason I like them!).

Please keep the forum updated.

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.