Xsara diesel cut out, won't start cam sensor error message

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jazzer

Xsara diesel cut out, won't start cam sensor error message

Post by Jazzer »

I am a complete novice regarding forums but i thought some one might point me in the right direction.I have a 2003 xsara desire diesel and it just stopped dead without warning. Diagnostic computer says its a cam shaft and crank sensor.I have changed them both and there is no difference.Does anyone know of any common wiring faults?Where do i start looking?
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Re: Xsara diesel cut out, won't start cam sensor error messa

Post by wotwot »

Hi and welcome to the forum, the old gits on here take a bit of time to answer sometimes especially on a satuday it interferes with drinking time or something [-X LOL.
Did the error stay after you changed the sensors.
Is the tank pump working.
Immobiliser maybe.
Might give you something to think about whilst the guys digest there beers.
But dont despair the folk on here like to help others.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wotwot wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum, the old gits on here take a bit of time to answer sometimes especially on a satuday it interferes with drinking time or something [-X LOL.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I was over on Club-XM. Can't answer for my colleagues though :roll:

Welcome to the forum Jazzer :-D

Right, good point well asked by Wotwot. Did the faults clear? And what diagnostic machine did you use. Only a Citroen Lexia will give a proper picture. Some others, such as a generic OBD Code Reader may not give the true picture. Also, a Lexia will allow you to clear any faults and see the whole picture.

If you've changed the sensors and the fault remains then there is an outside possibility the reason it's coming up is because the cam timing is out- either because of a bust cambelt or a sheared woodruff key in the drive sprocket. You should be able to tell if the cambelt has gone as the engine won't sound 'right' cranking over.

There's no common wiring faults but as you have seen, the wiring to the cam sensor is in a vulnerable place and worth a check.

Do check the in-tank lift pump is running - you should hear it run for a few seconds when you first turn on the ignition. If it's not though you should also see a low-pressure fault logged on the diagnostics.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Welcome back Jim :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Welcome back Jim :-D
Thanks Peter :lol:

Just going back across to Club-XM for a while but I'll be back soon :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jazzer

Post by Jazzer »

Thanks for the replies. I havnt had the diagnostic machine back on tha car since i changed the sensors.I dont know which machine it was, the only thing i know is that cost over £2500 quid , which i know isn't the criteria for judging something but at least it was'nt from Maplins.The fuel pump is working, i can hear it when i turn the ignition on, The fuel gauge is faulty.
The engine turns OK and doesn't sound odd but there is an error message on the radio display thingy saying eco mod.I hope it's fixable. Apart from have to swap the back axle , i really like it.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

The machine was at a garage then,
Most on here will say get it done with a lexia ( less than £200 I believe) some of the super garage machines are sometimes not set up correctly and can throw up codes that dont relate to the car !!.
I dont know where you live but there is a network of lexia owners on here that dont mind giving lexia sessions for beer tokens.
I know an AA man with the diagnosis machines and it chucks up up errors that are not there go figure.
Looking back to your original post you say it "just stopped dead", were you driving at the time or just parked up with engine running.
Jazzer

Post by Jazzer »

My timing belt has snapped. It didnt make any strange noises. Is it possible that it could survive without damage.Help!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear. Sorry my initial diagnosis was spot-on :roll: :(

Luckily, the 8 valve HDi engine suffers little from a snapped cambelt. Although it's an 'interference' engine the normal casualties are just a few broken rockers which are easily enough replaced. This is by dint of the fact that the valves are perpendicular to the pistns and a breakage just forces all valves closed. Something has to give and that's normally the rockers.

Have the rocker cover off, see how many have snapped and order up replacements. When replacing them be sure to make sure any spilt needle rollers are recovered as they could cause havoc if they freely circulate. Use a strong magnet to fish them out.
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Had a belt break on a HDi 110 Xantia at 50 mph.. (Not mine) ... The result.. It needed 7 rocker fingers..

The cam shaft is on a carrier which needs to come away first before the cam comes out. Get a magnet in there, the rocker fingers have NEEDLE ROLLER bearings in them, the needles escape with a breakage.. but, as Jim says, the valves survive, and so does the cam shaft. So with 8 new rockers and a new belt, and while your in there, stick a water pump in as its driven by the cam belt and only 20 quid, piece of mind then.. She should be good as before!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Jazzer

Post by Jazzer »

Many thanks, very helpful.
Jazzer

Post by Jazzer »

Thanks for the very good advice.I put a belt on, cleaned out the broken bits and off she went.Citroen quoted me £1000.00 to take it to pieces and, if undamaged, replace the belt .With the aid of you chaps and a very friendly salvage yard i have done it for forty quid.

Pat
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Nice one!!! it lives on a bit longer....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Brilliant :-D I'm delighted it's all come good Pat =D>
Jim