307 1.4 hdi cam tensioner failed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianskill

307 1.4 hdi cam tensioner failed

Post by ianskill »

hi all,bought this 307 knowing possible engine damage. last owner was driving normal speed/revs and they heard clunk,engine dies. AA comes out not bothered looking and noticing the belt tried coming through the cam casing attempts to restart car,lol. anyway,i have removed the cam rover cover and inspected. i cant see any obvious damage to valves or rockers. fitted new cambelt and turned it over by hand first,plenty compression. started car,without firing and can hear popping sound so not looking good. what i wanted to ask after searching and reading on hdi engine,is, does the pistons do any valve damage on these 1.4's unlike the 2.0 hdi's causing rocker damage? last resort removing head if i can help it, thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 307 1.4 hdi cam tensioner failed

Post by citronut »

sounds like either you have got the cam timing out or you have bent valves,

the later requires head off
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ianskill

Post by ianskill »

just an update,fitted new cambelt and engine started,no real evidence of valve damage but seems quite a lot of back pressure through oil filler cap, quite noisy through air filter pipe,smoke coming out exhaust and absoloutly no power in engine,but no engine management light on. obvious signs that theres damage somewhere.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ianskill wrote:just an update,fitted new cambelt and engine started,no real evidence of valve damage but seems quite a lot of back pressure through oil filler cap, quite noisy through air filter pipe,smoke coming out exhaust and absoloutly no power in engine,but no engine management light on. obvious signs that theres damage somewhere.
firstly i would double check the belt timing,
if thats ok i would then have the head off
Regards, malcolm.

ianskill

Post by ianskill »

am i correct in saying the pumps on these dont have to be timed up? i have read also the valves normally survive on cambelt failure and the rockers normally break instead, cheers
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes the HDI pump sprocket does not require timing up on fitting a belt,

i have not had a 1.4 HDI apart as yet, but looking on service citroen at rhe 1.4 HDI 70 it does have the blade type rockers, which i belive are the type whicich break rather than cause damage to valves,

so maybe if you have the cam/crank timed up correctly it might be and injector fault, a sensor or even an ECU/BSI fault

can you get it hirtched up to a pug PLANNET/DIS LEXIA

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

ianskill

Post by ianskill »

hi,no not possible get it on the lappy,dont know anyone. i am going to remove cam after double checking the timing to make sure theres no damage. bit worried though with the back pressure and smoke, ill update when done, thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check the mao in the link below as it the location of forum members with DIS LEXIA's

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

see if there is someone local'ish to you then send them request via pm

most of which are happy to run a setion with these machine on other members cars
Regards, malcolm.

ianskill

Post by ianskill »

thanks for the list,i am in st.helens,merseyside so preston prob closest. thanks again
ianskill

Post by ianskill »

i have now removed the full cam and housing and found one rocker damaged. the damage was the pin the holds the roller bearing in was half out causing the roller to drop one side. i think this would cause problems on one cylinder. i have used a straight edge to go along tops of the valves to see if any are lower and there is very,very slight gaps in number one inlet and exhaust,maybe very slightly bent. dunno if i should remove head,any advice?
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

remove either injectors or glowplugs, find a way to fit a tyre valve instead and pump up with a tyre compressor?
I imagine that air would leak out of a cylinder much faster if it has a bent valve
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have done 1 of these engines that had belt failure like yours. Changed broken rockers, and it was fine. Doesn't really answer your question, but would think valve damage relatively unlikely due to them being vertical.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
ianskill

Post by ianskill »

i have taken off the head. i cannot see any bent valves. i have put degreaser down the ports and no leaks at all. ay help on this please?
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

If you have an exhaust valve not opening , the gases will have to escape somewhere, i.e. past the piston , causing crankcase pressure.
I would check the rockers for cracks, and the hydraulic lifters for lack of tension.
These engines dont usually bend valves.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
ianskill

Post by ianskill »

ok,ive checked pistons,no damage. ive checked all lifters and all are good,as are the rockers. i have removed all 8 valves and very carefully checked them all in turn and non at all bent. i have noticed though on some of the valves a very high amount of carbon build up,not seen as much as this before on a valve,dunno if this would have caused the problem i have. if not,the only thing i can do is replace all lifters,valves and rockers but something tells me the last owner may have had other problems before cambelt went having so much carbon build up. it is original 35k on the clock,first 3 years was 25k,rest couple k each year. sometimes low mileage stop/start isnt always good