AL4 gearbox please help!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

m300td
My Cars: citroen c8 2.2 hdi exclusive
citroen c8 2.0 hdi sx doner
Peugeot boxer 2.0 hdi
citroen c5 2.0 tourer x7
Peugeot 806 2.0 hdi

AL4 gearbox please help!!

Post by m300td »

hi newbie to this forums but here we go!
just brought a c5 2litre hdi vtr 2004 model i have a problem with the auto box it is very sluggush at changing gear when cold once it warms up it is fine no problem changing up or down now here comes the problem
went to change the oil got new oil located the filler and the problem is the drain i have seen on here a picture of the drain plug an it has two nuts but mine only has the same as the filler a square nut so i have undone this an measured the oil that came out 1600ml it was black and thin and replaced it with new oil of the same amount but the problem is still there but slightly better i realise that i may need to do more oil changes beacuse of the oil in the torque converter
but i am a little worried that there is not enough oil in the box did the latter al4 boxes just have a drain plug and it is just a quantity of oil you refill with?
many thanks
malc

ps if anyone needs a code read with lexia in shropshire area give me a shout brought one and never looked back!!
lexia owner nr telford
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My Xantia is fitted with an AL4 from a 2005 C5. It takes about three litres according to the level tube.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: AL4 gearbox please help!!

Post by CitroJim »

I can only speak of the AL4's bigger sister, the 4HP20 but when cold the 4HP20 deliberately hangs onto low gears as a result of it running on its 'warmup' map. The effect is that for the first 180 seconds of running or if the gearbox oil is below 60 degrees it won't change out of first gear below 3,000 rpm. This is to get the engine, gearbox and cat up to temperature as soon as possible supposedly.

I'm wondering if the later AL4 has the same thing.

Did you follow the full and correct procedure when changing the oil and did you reset the 'worn oil counter' using a Lexia? A Lexia is essential when doing a level check as it's only valid at 60 degrees. It might also be worth re-initialising its auto-adaptive parameters.

Also, did you use genuine LT71141 fluid? Only use the pukka Esso/Mobil stuff and steer very much away from those fluids with claim to be suitable and compatible - they're not. End of.

If it's not the genuine stuff n there then do three changes in short succession to get as much of the old stuff out as you can.

If you need the full and genuine instructions for a fluid change, let me know.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I had a Renault with an AL4 box which had more problems than yours, the quite common gearbox warning light coming on.
Details of the solenoid fix for this here. http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hilit=+al4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our box was always better after a fluid change and would work ok for about 9 months before going back to it's old ways. Same as yours slow to change especially on hills.
Quite right to change the fluid for clean and correct type as I read here that this helps prevent solenoid problems.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
m300td
My Cars: citroen c8 2.2 hdi exclusive
citroen c8 2.0 hdi sx doner
Peugeot boxer 2.0 hdi
citroen c5 2.0 tourer x7
Peugeot 806 2.0 hdi

Post by m300td »

many thanks for the replys my main problem is the level/drain plug is diffrent
it is the same as the filler!! and the quantity of oil that came out no where near 4 litres
only 1.6 litres as i do not have a level plug just a drain does this nean there is no where near enoughoil in there?
lexia owner nr telford
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's the guide...

Have another careful look at the level/drain plug. Strikes me you've had the wrong plug/bolt out and missed completely the level/drain one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

My Xsara has the AL4 auto box and I find that from cold it does hang on to the gears.

Fine after a few miles of warming up.
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
assasukasse
My Cars:

Post by assasukasse »

Hello,
even my 207 has no level plug. I found only a drain plug and the oil that comes out is even less than that, more around 0.7 liters...
Dunno what they have changed...