boot lock barrel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

boot lock barrel

Post by citronut »

what is the trick at removing XANT hatch boot lock barrels from one button to the other,

i have tried as it shows in the BOL but no go :shock: :? :roll: :wink:

it seems to show pressing the stainless steel blade in whilst fiddling with the key
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Re: boot lock barrel

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Malcolm,

The idea, apparently (Mr. Haynes) is that you press the stainless blade in and use the key as a type of puller...great when they have been in and out a few times and lubricated, but not when out for the first time (in ages) and are gummed up with crud, old hard grease and a bit of corrosion.

I usually have success as follows..douse the offending barrel/latch assembly in Plusgas before trying anything, insert the thin bladed screwdriver into the slot where the stainless blade lives and push it in towards the barrel body. While holding this screwdriver in place, carefully insert a wider thin bladed screwdriver under the plastic shroud that covers the outer end of the barrel and slowly/carefully prise/lift the barrel out.

I have had to do this several times with various barrel/latch assemblies and dismantling the latch body assembly as a whole (due to failed return springs - see post on springs from RS) and could probably do it with my eyes shut now... :roll:

HTH

Glyn