Xantia lets me down today, shock horror !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Xantia lets me down today, shock horror !!

Post by HDI »

Please excuse the tabloid style headline !
Although I did need the help of the AA this afternoon ! Had just been down to somewhere in Uxbridge and was on my way back, having made good time with the prospect of being back early enough to get other stuff done. Was just approaching Beaconsfield services on the M40 when I noticed the steering had gone heavy, which immediately made me think blown pipe somewhere in the hydraulics, as I've had issues with this Xantia with this in the past. Then I noticed the charge light was on, bu66er, thats the accessory belt then !! Made it the 3 miles or so to the services, popped the bonnet and sure enough the belt had come off and was wrapped around various pulleys. Called the AA and they were there in 40 mins, good stuff ! AA man extracts remains of belt, which had slit itself in two lengthways, felt all the pulleys and found the lower fixed tensioner pulley was all wobbly. When it was removed it was found completely dry and had obviously been running without grease for a while, how it hadn't welded itself up I don't know. All I can say is, I had noticed a slight whine over the last few weeks :oops:
AA man could only find a new pulley near Oxford, a 40 mile drive ! Got there and found that the pulley was in fact just the centre bearing without the pulley, that is a separate part !!! After trying to remove the pulley from the old bearing on the van without success we went begging around a few local garages, one of which loaned the AA man a bench, big vice, punch and hammer !! 15 mins of brutality and it was off. New bearing into pulley and we were off back to the services. Pulley in, belt on, all good, on my way at 6.15pm, I had stopped at 1.15pm !! If only that damn pulley had been a complete assembly, why do they do that ?!!
Well at least I didn't need to get relayed back and have to sort it out tomorrow !
Last edited by HDI on 29 Aug 2012, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia lets me down today, shock horror !!

Post by CitroJim »

What a brilliant AA Man :-D I'd say a little beyond the call of duty but an absolute star! Delighted the story had such a happy and successful outcome =D>
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Have to admit it came to me as a surprise, I thought it would be on the back of a truck for sure but apparently, they like to avoid Relay if at all possible as it is far more expensive !! So as long as a repair is possible without taking too much time that's the way they go. Ironically, I found a pulley listed on ebay when I got back and the seller was near Heathrow !
However, I was very impressed with the AA's service so a strong recommendation is well deserved. He even phoned me about an hour after I left to check everything was ok !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

HDI wrote:He even phoned me about an hour after I left to check everything was ok !
All in all, a fantastic service from the AA man =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

HDI wrote:...He even phoned me about an hour after I left to check everything was ok !
Maybe he fancied you? :shock: :lol:
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I know it will be a pain to check but bits of the belt can find their way into the cam cover and cause the cam belt to jump a tooth (or more) not nice.

Rory
HDI
My Cars:

Re:

Post by HDI »

addo wrote:
HDI wrote:...He even phoned me about an hour after I left to check everything was ok !
Maybe he fancied you? :shock: :lol:
Thats quite a bizarre comment !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

rory_perrett wrote:I know it will be a pain to check but bits of the belt can find their way into the cam cover and cause the cam belt to jump a tooth (or more) not nice.

Rory
That occurred to me but the belt was neatly sliced in half lengthways with no missing bits, lucky I guess !! It must have ridden over the edge of a pulley which gradually cut through it.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Seems likely to be the cause. Would have been a little noisier than "normal" for a while, though.

I've had a car chuck a belt similarly when the tensioner bearing seized and the plastic tension roller then melted off it.