rear wheel cylinder and bleeding

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MARKBLACK
My Cars:

rear wheel cylinder and bleeding

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi, I am going to change a wheel cylinder on my 306 tomorrow just wondering if I can get away with just bleeding the back brake, plus is there a flexi pipe I can clamp whilst I change the cylinder?
Jon

Post by Jon »

The best plan is to bleed both rear cylinders after you have fitted the new one. If you don't have something like an "Eazibleed" then get an assistant inside the car to depress the pedal, shouting "down" whilst you open the bleed, you close it, then you shout "up" when the bleed is closed, and repeat the process until the pedal goes hard.
I would not clamp the flexi unless you have the proper clamp unless you have the proper tool.It may damage the hose otherwise.
Its easier to do it as I describe, then top up the brake fluid when you're done if you have help.
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi, just an update, didn't manage to start this cylinder job,the union wouldn't move, the only solution is to cut the brake pipe and use a socket, also I had a quick look first and noticed straight away that the union was bigger than the normal ones from minis and vauxhalls etc!. I had no transport to go for the new union which was a pain. I am going to have to put a new pipe on aswell, though the end that fixers to the flexi pipe looks like its going to give trouble, this is turning into a bigger job. I didn't really want to change the flexi pipe because its in good condition, I have a feeling its been changed in the past because the othersides got a medal cage around it.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You really need a split ring spanner to undo these unions. An open ended one will just round off the flats. Don't clamp the flexible hoses. Remove the reservoir cap, lay a piece of plastic over the neck and replace the cap. Not too much fluid will escape from the open pipe. If you are replacing the wheel cylinder, a quick burst with a blow torch may help to get the union started. Be careful if you have a petrol tank close by.
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Cheer JohnD
I might do as you say 'a quick burst with a blow torch' I suppose this way I won't have to take the union off near the flexi pipe.